Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: My neighbor's, who we'll call "Dagwood and Blondie", have a 3 year old male chocolate lab. They moved in over there in 2006 and got the dog in 2007. They have their dog coming over to my place and won't make their own fence or tie him up. I already had a chain link fence for my 5 dogs and my fence in the back is inside my property line and they let him come over here and growl at me and threaten me. There is a road allowance in between us and a secondary highway in front. They let their dog wander up and down the highway and go across the road onto other people's land.

This all started in the dead of winter and my dogs were fighting with his dog all winter and they were just sitting in the house and didn't know or care. I was going nuts. I had to wait till the ground thawed out that year at the end of April to begin building another fence. That took me all spring and summer and finally in October I had another fence completed. I broke the springs on my car, overloading it with fence posts and wire. All they did was play with their quad, boat and stare in my yard when they drove by. They still stare in my yard when they drive by, which really bugs me.

The same guy was furious when an old dog strayed over there one summer. The dog wasn't fighting with his dog. His dog was the one that was threatening the other dog.

His dog was threatening other people and even attacked his own kid and he still has his dog loose. Something I just don't understand. This same guy has told me I'm a lunatic and said he had called the police and told them I was threatening his kid. It was his dog that attacked his kid. The cops told me they couldn't do anything for me about his dog because I'm not injured but come running about his accusations about his kid. I haven't touched her and she's not injured. She keeps staring in my yard. This guy is one of those people who has a temper tantrum when he can't get his way

I've complained till I'm blue in the face to Animal Control and nothing is ever done. Whenever the cops have talked to my neighbor, all that happened is I was told he is a "friendly and cooperative gentleman and I shouldn't have any trouble getting along with him." That was 3 years ago. Not long after that, one evening I was sitting at my computer and my dogs started barking so I poked my head in the doorway to see what was going on. He was yelling at me and telling me to "go over there and talk" if I "had a problem."

Okay, so after that they still had the dog coming over here. I went over there 3 times, leaving them a note, asking them to please keep their dog over there on their own property. They just ignore the notes and his exact words were, "Why? I'm not going to." after I had asked him to keep his dog over there. I told him my dogs were going nuts with his dog coming over here and he replied, "It doesn't take much for your dogs to go nuts." It also doesn't take "Dagwood" to go nuts either. He is in his 20's but seems to have the maturity of a 5 year old.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I found a place on the internet, which sells a dog trap that catches the dog around the neck and a pole that I can grab him around the neck with. I've sent away for this Animal Control equipment and should be getting it in a couple weeks in the mail.

I'm wondering what I'd do with him once I caught him. He'd have to stay tied up. I have 97 acres of land. I could train him and keep him and the neighbor would probably just get another dog and do the same with the next dog.

One time when the dog came over to my first fence and was growling at me, which is inside my property line, all Blondie told me was, "There is a fence". She made it sound like it was her fence.

The previous neighbors had their kids on my land all the time and then I had a puppy after my 2 dogs got old and died, and then I had to keep my dogs out of their yard or they were going to shoot them. Then I built the fence and for 2003, 2004, 2005, they had their dogs running over here to my fence.

They were driving me nuts. I used the clicker training system to train my dogs to stay with me and took them out farther away on my property and she called the police and told them my dogs were getting out, even though my dogs were on my property and I was with them the whole time and the cops were snooping in my house while I was gone.

My dogs are all getting old. They are aged 10, 9 1/2, and 8 1/2 right now. In a few more years they will be old.

If I let his dog in here, my dogs would maul him to death.

Animal Control kept running it by me that I have 5 dogs and so that is the reason they "can't" keep their dog over there.

They aren't even trying. "She has a fence, so why make our own fence."

Anyway, the other day we had a big snowfall, and I was shovelling snow and his dog came charging over here and was growling at me and threatening me and Dagwood was right there and saw it and still has his dog loose.

They don't think their dog is at large because I have a fence and they seem to think it's okay to have their dog over here and if one of my dogs would do the same thing to him, I'd probably have to listen to swearing all the time for the next 10 years. They are driving me around the bend. Dagwood told me I'm a lunatic.

He goes nuts himself as soon as he gets a little taste of his own medicine.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Hmm, well catching the dog with a catch pole could get you into more trouble as he could accuse you of grabbing the dog with it and dragging it over there.

Personally, I'd go with a video surveillance system to tape all the times the dog comes onto YOUR property and starts fights with YOUR dogs, I'd also take the neighbor to court for any vet bills that occur due to his dog coming onto your property and injuring your dogs. IF the dog comes onto your property and attacks YOU, it's a different ball game and although I hate for a dog to pay for the owners stupidity, you have EVERY right to defend yourself and your family members from the animal. just be SURE you have evidence the dog was on YOUR property OR in a public right of way (street, ally ect) and NOT on it's own property.

Show the police nad AC the surveillance tapes as evidence, if they DON'T act, I'd talk to the local prosecutor or who ever is responsible for hiring law enforcement (here in the US, it would be the city council, mayor or County supervisor's office) about the situation and WHY action is not being taken by law enforcment when a vicious, uncontrolled animal is repeatedly at large.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cshellenberger for the fast reply. This with the neighbor and his dog has been going on for 3 years and I had the same problem with the last neighbor.

Their dog would not injure my dogs if he got onto my property. I have 5 big dogs and they'd kill him if I let him in here. I have 2 fences and my dogs can't get out. I've been mad enough plenty of times to let him in here. They'd be the ones with the problem. They seem to think it's okay to let him run over to my fence instead of making their own fence. They're irresponsible, selfish, inconsiderate.

Anyway, I don't have a video camera and can't afford to buy one right now. Plus the way he is, he'd go nuts and it'd be like stirring up the hornet's nest.

The dog comes over to my gate. I have to be able to shovel the snow in front of my gate to get my car in and out to go to town. I didn't have my dogs out there bothering him. He uses a quad that has a blade in front to clear his driveway. He has quite a lot to clear.
Right now, the temperatures are around the freezing point and it's melting a little but it probably will be a week or two till it starts any heavy duty thawing and in the meantime, more snow is in the forecast.

I am afraid to go out there to shovel the snow with his dog at large and he won't lift a finger to tie up his dog or fence his yard.

Actually, in this area, dog complaints are on the increase. People around here that I've talked to about this have said to me, "Shoot him." I've felt like it enough times, but I don't have a gun. I did buy a soft air gun and now I don't know where I put it. I also bought pepper spray from a place on the internet. I also bought a "dog chaser" thing off of E-bay. I tried it on him but it didn't work.

This dog seems to get especially riled up if you have something in your hand.

I think a lot of his problem is his owners. Lots of people have exactly the same kind of dog and they've got a nice dog. They pay very little attention to him and he's got no training,whatsoever. They leave him alone outside all the time.

They had him running behind the quad (a four wheeled all terrain vehicle). It is my theory that dogs hate those and it makes them cross. Dogs don't have the intelligence to understand what a machine is. They think it's alive and the motor noise is "growling". I read somewhere that a man's voice sounds like growling to a puppy.

They had this dog running behind the quad and then he'd run over to my outer fence and my dogs were going nuts. They had little kids on the back of the quad. I'd rush around tying up my dogs while they were gone, so they wouldn't be running over to the fence. Every time they came back, his dog would rush over to my fence and then his dog would be on the other side and my dogs were running over there and then my dogs would all attack my Elsie, (who is the bottom of the pack order). My dogs have a ranking system among themselves.

That year I spent from the end of April till October building another fence to keep my dogs away from that fence. He didn't lift a finger, yet the cops think he's "friendly and cooperative." I don't get it.

The issue now is that I can't shovel out my driveway in front and if he's so cooperative, I don't see him doing it for me. I'm waiting right now for the snow to melt. Usually, in April the ground is bare. Some years the ground is bare in March.

In 2003 or 2004, I don't remember which, I had the same problem with the previous neighbors having a dog named Zack coming over here all the time. How I remember when it started, is that it started the exact same day that Bush started bombing Baghdad. I complained till I was blue in the face about that too and got nowhere. Plus on top of it, they were all swearing at me all the time over there and that was driving me nuts too with all their foul language. This new neighbor is the same as they were.

I have thought that he could accuse me of dragging his dog in here. I have about 3 or 4 acres of my land fenced in for my dogs to keep them under control and partly because wehn they were pups I had so much trouble with porcupines, so it was to keep them from running off into the bush. I own 97 acres of land in all. Next time around I only want 2 dogs. 5 dogs are way too much work, but at least I was forced to learn more about dogs. I think with one dog, it's pretty easy to ignore the dog. I tried training my dogs but you pretty well have to train them one on one. It's pretty hard to train the whole pack all at the same time to sit, stay, etc.

I did train them all "sit" back in 2003 and 2004 with the clicker and I was surprised how it worked like a charm. They all learned "sit" in no time flat and 6 months later, the neighbor was still working on "sit" with his one dog.

I wasn't sure if I ought to click for each dog or once for the whole pack. The dogs enjoyed the clicker training anyway. Skippy used to jump on top of the car and then he got the idea to stand on top of the freezer and other furniture inside and now whenever her hears any kind of "big clicker" like gunshots in hunting season, fireworks, or thunder, he stands on top of the freezer.

Anyway, a couple summers ago, a couple young men were on a quad going by. They were working for the power company, checking the power poles along the road. They had to check the poles to see if they're rotten inside. They do this regularly and they also have a company that cleans up the brush under the power lines, because of danger of fire. Okay, so I heard one of these guys suddenly start swearing. Then the neighbor drove in over there and said to them, "What's the matter?" He replied, "I have a problem." Then the neighbor was very angry and the other guy was mad. He said to my neighbor, "We have to do this work." After the two guys were done over there, they were in front of my place and my dogs were barking, but it's all fenced and so they weren't in any danger.

After that the dog was still loose. There are local by-laws here in this municipality about dogs being at large, threatening people, livestock, trespassing, and defecating on other people's property.

Anyway, I'd put the trap in the back and it'd be on my property and I'd use the Ketch-All pole to handle him so I wouldn't get bit.

There is an SPCA around here now. I'd either have to take him there or keep him. The police do nothing. They just come running when the neighbor has a complaint. If somebody's dog went over there, they'd come running.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Trap on your property FINE, then call AC out to see 'what you caught" be sure the trap is fastened down in some way so the neighbor can't accuse you of anything. TAKE PICTURES AS EVIDENCE of where the trap was set as well of the dog IN the trap.

Then IF the authorities don't take of the situation, GET IN TOUCH WITH THEIR BOSSES, there is NEVER an excuse for people not doing their jobs in law enforcement.

Remember that doing this WILL set your neighbor off, if he comes onto your property, have him arrested for tresspassing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I don't have the trap yet. I've ordered it and am waiting for it to come in the mail. I was thinking to wait till the snow is melted and the leaves are all out. Then they wouldn't be able to see in here. The trap has some kind of rebar which anchors it into the ground. The salesman said nobody would know it's there.

I have thought about him coming onto my property to try and get his dog. He's not a very nice guy.

I have actually thought about keeping his dog and traiing it. I don't really want his dog. I'd rather pick what dog I want. I'm still thinking and deciding on my course of action.

The snow is deep right now, and so I wouldn't be able to set the trap up in the back right now.

If they took the dog, he'd probably be put down or have to be adopted, and then he'd be somebody else's problem.

Right now my dogs just bark when they see him. They can't fight because I built another fence.

If I took his dog, I'd have to keep him tied up. I was thinking of making some kind of pen for him, plus having him on a clothesline. He'd have to be so he couldn't get out and go to my fence on the other side to my dogs.

I have 97 acres like I said, and I would love to be able to go out there. My dogs are okay now if I walk out there, but I can't take them out there, because I don't feel safe going out there alone.

So I thought that one option would be to trap his dog and train him. I've got some old buildings out there, where I could put him.

The thought occurred to me that he or someone else would untie him and then I'd have his dog loose and the same problem on the other side of my fenced in area.

Or, like you said, he'd come onto my property and be mad and take revenge on me.

Another option would be to just trap his dog and tame him and then turn him loose and he'd go back over there and at least, i'd be able to shovel my driveway. I don't really want to get stuck with another dog I don't want, especially one that's got problems.

Sooner or later, they'll get sued if the dog bites somebody.

I thought that if I took his dog, it'd just teach them to dump dogs off on me and not to take responsibility.

This whole thing has been driving me nuts. I keep thinking about what I should do. I'd have to do it in summer. It's too cold in winter.

I keep thinking of things I could do and then the pros and cons of the consequences.

I don't even know if they want their dog. It gives the impression they don't want him very badly the way they ignore him.

I also have thought of leaving them alone and maybe somebody will get bitten and he'll get sued, but I think I'll have to trap him. Up to now, he wasn't bothering me when I was shovelling snow. I'd yell at him and he'd go home. Now he's getting aggressive and it's scares me.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Call AC when the dog is on your property.

Or catch the dog and take to AC. After they pay a fine to get him back a few times they will probably contain him.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
DO NOT TAKE HIS DOG!!! That is theft and the law will be on his side if you do that. Trap the dog and turn over to the AC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great advice.

RE: taking his dog
That wouldn't be the best option for a few reasons:
1. It would be theft if they want him. If they don't want him, they'd be saying he's my dog now and keep him out of our yard or we'll shoot him or send him to the pound and then I'd be stuck with a dog I didn't really want. It could go either way. They pay very little atttention to him, so it doesn't look like they want him very badly.

2. I already have 5 dogs and so I wouldn't be able to give him much more attention than he's already getting over there. I can't keep him in here with my dogs because they'd kill him. I have my dogs loose but it's fenced and I have 2 fences in between me and them and 2 fences in between me and the road and the fences are roughly 50-100-200 feet apart. I built the second fences to keep my dogs away from the first fence. There is a road allowance in between me and him. Now that I have these fences, I guess he doesn't see why he ought to keep his dog over there; he just sits there and uses my fence, of which part of the outer fence is inside my property line.
3. I only want to have 2 dogs next time around. 5 are too much work.

I think trapping him and taking him to the SPCA is probably the way to go. There is an SPCA in town. I live in the country. The constables that deal with AC here have a lot of other things as well to deal with, such as traffic, speeding, parking, trespassing, quads, snowmobiles. They also have a couple constables just for the schools. They started that at the start of the current school year. It's a new thing.

I mailed the money to the company for the trap and pole on March 13. It's to a place in Manitoba. I ought to be getting it in two or three weeks.

Today it's snowing and there is 10-15 cm. of snow in the forecast. That's roughly 3-6 inches for those who aren't metric.

Anyway, it'll be a lot of snow. I am leery about going out in front to shovel this snow because of my neighbor's dog.

He probably won't clean out the snow for me or tie up his dog. We use the same approach from the highway. There is a road allowance and his place is over there and I drive into my place here. The snowplow sometimes cleans it out and sometimes not.

Anyway, I'm kind of waiting for the snow to melt enough so I can drive out without getting stuck and then go to town, pick up my mail and hopefully the trap will have come and then I guess I'd have to trap him and take him to the SP'CA.

Soon I won't have to shovel snow anymore for a few months because spring is coming. Actually today is supposed to be the first day of spring, but it's still winter here and there is lots of snow on the ground and more coming. This is NE Alberta, Canada.

This neighbor is not a very nice guy and he's not the kind of guy you want to antagonize.

I guess trapping the dog and taking him to the SPCA would probably be the best option. The dog would likely get more attention at the SPCA then he's getting now. The SPCA charges a fee to surrender the animal and, I don't have the exact figures, but it costs a few hundred dollars to adopt a dog.

I'm glad I found this forum. I was getting pretty frustrated about this problem and wondering what to do.

I Googled and came up with a thread on Dog Forum that was a few years old and the person had a similar problem, though it wasn't exactly the same as my problem. It helps to read about other people having the same problem and how they dealt with it and the advice others gave them.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
this may not really be an answer or doable for you but a neighbour of mine got tired of a neighbourhood dog coming over and trying to get in at his 2 dogs (intact girls that were show dogs) and after having taken the dogs home and talking to the people (they thought it was funny) and calling AC numerous times ("your dogs are a nuisance so until you get them fixed we can't do anything about it") they got themselves a couple paint guns and started "painting" the dog when it'd come over.....after a couple times of the dog coming home multi coloured they started keeping the dog to home (funny thing is, they had a fenced in yard, but never bothered to close the gate)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just trap the dog and attempt to contact the owner. As stated, photographic evidence is extremely important. The owner sounds like a egotistical, dense (bleep) that obviously has no respect for your property.

Where I live there are a lot of buck hunters. The dog would of been shot after a few unwanted visitations.

PB

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
RIGHT NOW get yourself a cattle prod and go about your business and if Mr. Neighbor's dog comes for you give him a taste of the business end of the cattle prod.

Next, come spring, put up an electric fence. Dogs HATE HATE HATE to be shocked and a low impedance fence controller (weed burner) will get the message across. Set up an electric fence so that when Mr. Neighbor's dog comes over and starts to run the fence he will get zapped. REALLY zapped if you have the right controller. He may leave for the next township or county or whatever the jurisdictional delineation is in Alberta!

If the dog does nto like things in peopkle's hands there is a good bet from me that they (his owners) hit him with sticks.

You cannot train Mr. Neighbor and you cannot train Mr. Neighbor's dog. You can set off a couple of sparks and electrify the situation yourself.

The point of this is to badly Firghten Mr. Neighbor's dog and keep him away. It won't fix stupidity (I have never figured out yet how to train stupid out of a human being) and it won't make the dog a good dog.

It will make sure he leaves you and your place the heck alone.

You can do all the other stuff too, but it is far less expensive and more expeditious to do something that the dog will so dislike he does not come back.

...and if you keep the cattle prod handly you might get lucky and be able to use it on the Dog's owners. :eek:

BTW if you get a prod with variable settings go for "High..."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Spending more money to keep this unwanted guest out is not fair in my opinion. After countless warnings, sometimes you need to respond towards people with more "growl" in your voice. And by growl, I don't mean picking an argument. Contacting the authorities and having them personally deliver the dog back to the owners is one way to get the owner's attention. If the dog does not have a collar, I'd call animal control to get this animal off the street. I wouldn't care if I knew the owner after countless warnings. By costing the owner money, they seem to grasp utterly simple concepts a lot quicker.

PB

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the neighbor should be the one to get the cattle prod!!! ... It is not the dogs fault that the owner is stupid!!!

Spending more money to keep this unwanted guest out is not fair in my opinion. After countless warnings, sometimes you need to respond towards people with more "growl" in your voice. And by growl, I don't mean picking an argument. Contacting the authorities and having them personally deliver the dog back to the owners is one way to get the owner's attention. By costing the owner money, they seem to grasp utterly simple concepts a lot quicker.

kinda like ~ clicker training
You let your dog roam, you get a treat (a nice fine)
Im sure the neighbor won't learn as quick as a canine!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies and ideas. The cattle prod sounds like a good idea.
My main problem right now is that I'm leery about going out to shovel the snow in front. I think I'll wait for the snowplow to come and clean it out. If I had the cattle prod out there, I could use that on him if he bothered me.

Animal Control doesn't seem to be very much help. They just seem to only come when the neighbor has a complaint.

The idea of painting the dog sounds good. I hadn't thought of that. I wouldn't need a paint gun though. Once I got him in the trap, I could use a paint brush and a can of paint. He's a chocolate lab. If I painted his dog, he'd maybe call the RCMP or SPCA for cruelty to an animal or something. Maybe with some people it would work, but he's not a guy you want to antagonize. He told me I'm a lunatic. That's the first time I've been called that. I've been called a lot of things. He is quiet most of the time,but if you do something he doesn't like, he goes nuts and it's pretty scary and he acts like he'd dangerous.
This neighbor got scary and dangerous already over AC talking to him about his dog and me driving into his yard and over the 3rd note I left him, asking him to keep his dog over there. He was yelling foul language and calling me a lunatic and said he had called the RCMP on me.

I agree that the owners aren't treating their dog right, from what I can see. Lots of people have this kind of dog and they'd have a good dog.

I think my neighbor's dog is bored and lonesome. He seems to get very little quality time and I doubt he's neutered and he's probably had no training. I used to hear the neighbor saying to the dog, "Sit..Sit..Sit" Anyway, the other 23 hours of the day, they don't care what their dog is doing.

Anyway, I think the cattle prod would be a good idea. I'd be able to use it for protection when I'm shovelling snow.

I had the pepper spray in my pocket and I was fumbling in my pocket for it and that seemed to annoy the dog. It scared me and I climbed back over my gate so I didn't get a chance to pepper spray him. I had bought the pepper spray to protect myself after the first time his dog threatened me.

If I got his dog to the SPCA, he'd probably just get another dog anyway and it'd be more of the same. I was thinking that one option is to just leave him alone and sooner or later, his dog will bite somebody and they'll sue him. Nobody much goes over there. His dog can't get in my yard. It's only creating a problem for me to go out and shovel now. Up to now, he hadn't bothered me and he ran home when I yelled at him.

His dog had also threatened his own kid besides threatening me and other people . I can't understand why he lets his dog be at large after threatening people and why AC and the RCMP won't do anything. The RCMP are for crime and so they don't deal with dogs, unless the person was killed or injured, I guess. There are other police here who are local and for local by-laws. The stuff that's of a more criminal nature is dealt with by the RCMP.

One thing I was thinking today was about the four Mounties who tasered this Polish immigrant at the Vancouver airport a few months ago. He was armed only with a stapler and didn't understand English. I was told by this lady RCMP that they couldn't help me about my neighbor's dog because I'm not injured. I thought, "I was threatened by a dog with teeth and the guy was holding a stapler" and they zapped him. The 4 Mounties weren't injured."

I'm really enjoying reading all the replies and ideas. It's great to be able to discuss things like this and get other people's ideas.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
One thing to remember.. once a dog has learned you WILL run away, he is going to be reinforced every time you do. It is now fun and a game for the dog (even if he bites.. that is prey drive).

I have no idea how large you are and how large the dog is and I would not want you to get bitten (tho if you DID it would then be YOU calling RCMP for the dog bite thing). I just wonder if you stood your ground.. stood sideways to the dog and did not move if he would find that boring and leave. Again, don't set yourself up for a bite. It is just that a running target is a lot more fun to bite and chase then a non moving target.

In the painting idea.. paint you can apply with a brush might be toxic while paint from a paint ball gun probably is not.

I do know I would have that cattle prod and that electric fence and this problem would be a non problem. It is more a people problem than a dog problem.. but if you can get the dog out of the way you can elect to have nothing more to do with the people and let it all go.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
also, the paint gun aspect has 2 points to it....have you ever been hit w/ one?....a friend 's brother used to go do this a couple times a mo and he said that the paint balls sting when they hit....not enuff to cause bruising or anything but they do have an impact when they hit....so, not only does the dogs go home painted but it will also get the message of coming over there causes a bit of "ouch"....

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
OOh, I didn't even think of a cattle prod, that way if the dog DID come at you, you could defend yourself without killing the dog and the dog would learn an IMPORTANT lesson. Then again, if I were shoveling snow and a dog came up to me in an aggressive manner I would stand my ground, then use the shovel on him if he came 'at' me, self defence is self defence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tips. It sounds like the paint gun would be better.
One advantage of a paint gun is you'd be able to see that you'd hit your mark. It says you have to wear a face mask to protect your eyes. I was kind of leery about using a gun, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

I could trap him in the Collarum trap and take him in the bush on the property in the back which is mostly all bush and wild and tie him up out there. Maybe that wouldn't be very humane. People go hunting deer and moose in there in the fall and there are wolves and coyotes and bears in there. In fact this neighbor has a really big spruce tree in his yard and a couple years ago in the summer, he had a bear up in his tree one evening. The bear was up there for 2 hours watching them and he had little kids in the yard and he was mowing his lawn the whole time and never knew he had a bear in his tree. It's a pretty huge tree. My dog had barked and I thought it was because of his dog. Then I saw what I thought at first was 2 crows sitting together. Then I thought it was a dog up in the tree, but that was impossible. Then I realized it was a bear. It was perched up there, looking down on them. I saw the bear climb down out of the tree and walked along the road allowance back into the bush. I couldn't see much because of all the foliage. I wasn't scared because I have 5 dogs and a fence. I've seen bears on the land in the back. One looked like the big grizzly on the Grizzly Adams TV show.

Or I trap him and get him in here and my dogs would kill him. This would have to be after all the leaves come out and everything's green. The foliage blocks the view. That would be pretty disgusting but then he'd be out of my hair. It'd be pretty disgusting.
If I got rid of his dog, he'd just get another dog. I think he ought to learn a little responsibility. Sooner or later, his dog is going to threaten or bite somebody.

I think I'll get the cattle prod and paint gun. To tell the truth, I have better things to spend my money on.
In fact an RCMP told me one time that what he would do if he had someone's dog coming and he didn't want it there, he'd take it back over there and tie it up and that if it came back again, he'd take it back over and tie it up again and that if it came back over the third time, that he would shoot it, and then he would leave its body on their doorstep. Then he yelled loudly to me, "Shoot him!," I told him I don't have a gun to be able to do that.

Some other RCMP told me another time that my neighbor would be within his rights to shoot my dogs if they went on his property.

Another option is to throw water on him. In summer that would only cool him off but in winter when it's cold, he'd turn into an icicle. That would be kind of cruel though.

I had tried to put up an electric fence years ago, and I have the fence controller and wire. I just don't know how to set it up. The fence is chain link and the posts are metal and there is lots of brush and the wires would be touching branches and so on.

I was talking with the man at the company that sells the trap in order to find out the shipping charges and I said I didn't know what I'd do with the dog once I caught him. The man said to make his life so miserable for a couple hours that he'd never want to come back over here again.
I was wondering how I'd do that. I suppose the cattle prod would do that trick.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You know, you seem to thinking of ways to torture the dog, that's not the goal, nor should it be.

Plain and simple, once again, catch the dog and turn him over to HS.

DO NOT get the dog in the cage and 'torture' him with a prod.

DO NOT tie him out in the woods.

DO NOT put him in with your dogs so they can kill him.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
My Golly Carla I am glad you got on here and said this.

The cattle prod is to frighten the dog if he comes after you. Tying a dog up or caging him and repeatedly hitting him with the prod is unbelievably cruel.. as are any of the other ideas (tying him out back, crating him and nailing him with a paint ball gun, letting your dogs kill him and possibly get injured themselves in the process etc.). Those actions are the actions of a COWARD.. and no better than the neighbor who does not train this dog or care for him.

The owners are stupid and you may be angry but this is NOT THE DOG'S FAULT. Fact is MOST dog behavior is the result of ignorant owners, and not the fault of the dog.

Most dogs will get zapped ONE TIME by a cattle prod and NEVER come back. Same with the electric fence.

Better to just catch, crate and take to the HS if you are that over the top about it that you would torture the dog. GEEZE.... You got to be better than the neighbor, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts