Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaki had been making leaps and bounds in the fear recovery department. She doesn't shut down completely while training but she still makes it difficult. I thought that we had been doing really well. We have a 100% recall and a tight heel. She's getting used to paw work and touching odd things.
But it seems as if she's becoming more and more crotchety. I only take her to the dog park really late at night now. She used to go to the daycare where she got on well with most every dog. At the dog park, she snaps at other dogs when they try to play back.
We were at the DP around 11:00pm the other night. This time, there was a man there with his dog. She got on fine with the dog. The man leaned over to pet her and she went NUTS. She was barking her head off, hackles raised, circling him. Before I even had time to react, he yelled at her! He said,"NO! COME HERE! NOW!". Then I was yelling more at him. I told him that's no way to react to a dog like that. It's only with men that she does this. My roommate and I have made an effort to expose her to lots of nice men. They give her a treat and talk in soothing voices to her. She was doing well. Part of me thinks that she knew I didn't want the creeper around.
What do you guys think? Advice?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You sound like you know she needs more work around the DP and some men. I don't like people reaching for my dog either and I use my recall before they can touch them.
I tell them I've taught my dog to sit politely for petting at my side.

How is she reacting with other men....is she willingly, happilly going to them for the treat or are the men going to her? She should be going to them on her own.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand where the DP behavior came from. In response to bad behavior, I call her and put her in a down/stay next to me while Hugh plays. She listens but the behavior isn't getting any better. She only allows Hugh, my roommate's dog, to play back.

It really depends on the man. She'll shy away from some men and greet some with a wagging tail. I haven't noticed any pattern either. I thought that she avoided the boisterous men for a while but that's not the case. It seems random. We sit at the coffee shop most everyday letting men greet her and give her treats.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Are you saying she doesn't really play at the DP...never has? Did you see good play (role reversals, etc). or was it stressed/forced interaction with other dogs?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She chases fast dogs but snaps at them she catches them or when they turn to play with her. She also zoomies about but gets irritated when another dog chases her. Hughbert is the only dog that she allows role reversals/natural play with.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You might want to consider skipping the DP then if it's just increasing her stress and making her attitude harder to deal with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts