Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm very new here, and I wanted to write about an experience I had recently and I also wanted to ask you for some tips.

I read all the good stuff about raw diets, and I kind of rushed into it with my dog (a mixed breed rescued from the local shelter). He has almost 30 kg (26,7kg) and is probably a mix between a pit bul or a Staford terrier and he is 1 year old.

I feed him 1/2 chicken, 2 raw eggs and some kibble because I wanted to do it slowly. It seems that I rushed too much because the next day in his poop there was blood. Just a tiny bit and it was bright red, so I waited for another day and feed him turkey wings and kibble.

But then...

He had soft poop, with blood (darker!) in it at the end (when he went pooping the 2nd time) and pieces of bones.

I got very worried, stopped the diet and took him to the vet.
He said that I should NEVER ever feed my dog bones. At all.
He gave me antibiotics for him (so it would fix his intestine) and sold me a pack of Hill's kibble for his new diet.

I really don't know what to do, because somewhere in the future I'd love to feed him raw.
But now I'm worried that this could happen again and again and again...
I do not want him to suffer.

Should I take off the bones, and feed him only meat? And eggs..?

And it worries me too, because whenever I mention the raw diet to anyone they look at me scared, angry or disgusted. People here feed their dogs with prepacked food or stuff that they cook. Veterinarians are sponsored by companies that make dog food and it's difficult to find anyone that understands this diet in my country (I come from Slovenia).

Any tips?

I'm sorry if my post is a bit weird, I'm just upset a bit..

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
You really need to read the stickies at the top of the food forum.

You said it yourself, you rushed into it. Raw feeding is not something you can just do. You have to know what you are doing to make sure the dog is getting the correct balance of all the nutrients he needs. I researched for at least a month before I started feeding my dog raw.

You asked if you could just feed meat and no bones. That is a bad idea. You need a balance of meat and bone in the dog's diet. If you follow the prey model you should feed 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (1/2 of that should be liver).

2 eggs a day seems like a lot to me.

I suggest that you do more research. If you really want to feed your dog raw then you shouldn't let anyone discourage you.

I was just at my vet this weekend. The 2 vets there support us feeding raw to our dogs but I mentioned in passing to the receptionist that I couldn't wait to get some fish again because it is Iorek's favourite thing to eat. (We are waiting for the fishing season to start here) She said that it was ok for him to eat fish as long as he doesn't get the bones, bones are the worst thing you can feed your dog. We kind of just laughed it off saying that we did our research. There are always going to be people telling you you are doing your dog a disservice but once you do the research and you see your dog doing well on it you will know that you are doing what you feel is best for your dog. I can see the difference in my boys.

Good luck with it all and thank you for adopting a dog :)

Oh, also some people say that you should not feed kibble and raw in the same meal because it digests at a different rate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When switching a dog to RAW food, don't rush in to it. Spend a week doing research, figure out a diet plan, find a supply of meat, figure out a system for cutting up, freezing, thawing and cleaning. Start by making a schedule on a calendar of what you are going to feed and how much, and when you are going to introduce new animals. Also, unless your Vet has told you that they support RAW dog food, never talk to a Vet about RAW god food.
When you are ready, you will start be feeding one type of protein, like just chicken. Don't mix it with anything. Just one whole chicken, cut up into chunks big enough that your dog has to chew them, not small enough for him to swallow. If you can get whole ground chicken, that would be good too. The ratio of meat to bone in a whole chicken is what you want. After a couple weeks of just chicken, you can start adding other animals, like turkey necks, beef heart, pork shoulder, chicken liver, beef liver, beef kidney, lamb, duck, sardined, eggs, or trimmings from the butcher. Variety is the key to a balanced RAW diet.
80% meat, 10%bone, 10% organ (1/2 of that liver)
No cooking, no grain, no salt. And don't mix RAW and kibble, there is no need.

Keep asking questions too, RAW feeders love to help others.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That bit of blood is irritation at the lower end of the intestinal tract. Bones were not poking and causing trouble, it was 'just' too big a change in diet.

If you want to rush in go buy a whole bunch of whole chickens and cut into meal sized bits. About 530 grams each, NOT smaller. Feed one per day, no kibble. It often helps to take off the skin just at first as most kibble is far lower in fat than the chicken+skin. Feed this chicken and only this chicken for at least a week while you read up on feeding raw. I wouldn't do even this unless you know how much your other meats will cost you. Chicken alone is not a good diet and I would not continue with raw unless I could find other cheap enough proteins to feed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i did what you did....i read for a long time, but i guess what i read did not prepare me for what i did...and that was to rush into things without asking questions...

my dogs had cannon butt...oh my.....bloody poops....

regurgitation five times....and flinging it all over my kitchen...by the end of the week, i stopped.

i'm surprised i made it that long

then i put my dogs on homecooked...and really really started to read.

i then emailed someone i thought was knowledgeable and told them how i fed and asked what i did wrong..

the reason i know i did it wrong was because both dogs had the same symptoms.

he wrote me back, gave me some excellent advice...and now my dogs are eating raw like champs.

it has made a huge difference and i've learned a valuable lesson about how to feed raw.

take the time...to research....

one more thing....my tension got in the way of my own good time....and i know my dogs felt it...every time they crunched a bone, i figured that's it...it's sideways in their throats and they will keel over and die.

i'm quite sure i aged myself in less than a week...now...i'm a whole lot calmer, knowing there are things that just occur naturally when feeding raw....

the reward? my dogs are really excited when meal time comes around...and, while malia still has resentment that she actually has to work to eat? well, i now have dogs who think alaskan salmon gelcaps are treats. that's something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone!

I will do as you said (not switching mean until he gets used to it), and I will read some more.
I also contacted a person from my country that knows the deal (I actually found them! yay!) and they have been so kind and answered really detailed.

I didn't feel tense when I was feeding him, because it was such a joy to watch him eat. I mean he looked really excited to be getting his meal! :)

I'll try again in a couple of months, need to make a good plan first (and make it financially work).

Thank you all!:)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thank you everyone!

I will do as you said (not switching mean until he gets used to it), and I will read some more.
I also contacted a person from my country that knows the deal (I actually found them! yay!) and they have been so kind and answered really detailed.

I didn't feel tense when I was feeding him, because it was such a joy to watch him eat. I mean he looked really excited to be getting his meal! :)

I'll try again in a couple of months, need to make a good plan first (and make it financially work).

Thank you all!:)
our second time around, once i realised what we had done wrong the first time around....it was such a difference.....

i've never seen dogs sooooooooooooo excited to eat....and their enthusiasm..plus, their health..makes it so worth it. :)

good luck to you

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Whoa there! First major no-no!

Hello!
I feed him 1/2 chicken, 2 raw eggs and some kibble because I wanted to do it slowly. It seems that I rushed too much because the next day in his poop there was blood. Just a tiny bit and it was bright red, so I waited for another day and feed him turkey wings and kibble.
Kibble CANNOT be fed at the same time with raw EVER. Kibble and raw digest at two completely different rates. I'm not surprised that your pup had a stomach upset. If you want to feed kibble and raw to wean him into it, then do a meal of kibble and (at least 3-4 hours later) introduce something raw. I found it easier to just fast the dog for a day and then go complete raw (only chicken for the first few weeks).

The reason they say to only introduce one new thing at a time is not necessarily because it upsets the dog (though that is possible in some cases), but if there is a problem, you won't know what the problem is from.

definitely read the stickies before you try again ;) welcome to the forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts