Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah I'm in camp leash-all-the-time. Poor thing doesn't understand boundaries, is confused by her new surroundings, and unsure about these new people in her life. Also if she has past trauma, that will be really hard for her to get through for a while. About how old do you think she is? Above all, you just need patience. My last dog was a rescue who had clearly been traumatized. It took 4 months for her to even walk up and down stairs on her own - everything was terrifying, and if I even raised my voice a little she'd cower and initially she'd pee (she got over that). We just gave her space and time and lots of good food and love and eventually she turned out to be a fantastic dog. Always a little timid and spooked by noises, but far more confident and loving. It probably took a year for her to really come out of her shell. So take heart, there is hope. Go back to basics, like she's an 8 week old puppy you just got. Agree with enrolling in obedience, but perhaps in a few more weeks after she's used to her new environment - I'd worry that it would be too much too fast at this point in her rescue stage.
Keep treats on you at all times, play games with her like teaching her name, and learn crate games as well. Crating is not evil and there is a good chance she'll enjoy having her own safe space.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts