Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of an issue training the dogs separately. When I want to train Spunky alone, things are fine. Honey will watch through the gate for awhile and then walk off and do her own thing. But when I want to train Honey alone, Spunky kicks up a huge fuss barking incessantly.

It's not separation anxiety. If anything, Spunky is the more aloof of the two...and if I section Spunky off and go away with Honey so I can bathe her or something, she's fine. It's only when she knows that Honey is being trained. It's more like "hey, training is going on without me!!!"

Once she sees me taking Honey and a bag of treats out of the room and shutting her inside, that's when she gets frantic. Even if she hears the clicker on the other side of the door. She will bark constantly, which disturbs me and my neighbours, and distracts Honey tremendously. She will even squeeze through the gate if I try to ignore her.

I have tried occupying her with a bone or a Kong, or having one be tossed to her so she associates being left alone with positive things. But once she hears me clicking Honey, she forgets all about the chew. (This is saying A LOT. There are few things Spunk will give up a raw bone for.) I have tried leashing her while I train Honey and tossing her treats in the rare moments she is quiet. Doesn't work. The only way I can train Honey now is by taking her out on a walk till we're far enough that Spunky can't hear me clicking or giving commands. Which is neither practical nor a long-term solution.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
What training are you doing that requires them to be separated? Heeling, for example, really needs to be one on one but, almost everything else can be done in pairs...Sits, Downs, Recalls, Stays.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with the above, you can even do focus in twos with the clicker, you still click once but you treat each dog so long as they both did what you asked.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Beau would pitch a fit when I'd be working with Maddy, so I included him in the training sessions, introducing the portable fabric crate I take on trips. I'd have Maddy go into the crate with a RMB, and work with Beau. Then, had Beau go into the crate with his RMB while I worked with Maddy. He was in the same room, or close to us outside.

This was also a problem when I'd take one out for a walk, leaving the other behind. Lots of short trips (coming right back in) saying the same thing each time I left (be good, I'll be right back), then extending the time.

Then came Luc, and Lucia. Same thing. I make sure I get in one-on-one time with each dog, even if it means a walk around the block, or a short car ride - seems to make all the difference. Lucia would scream and carry on like she was being murdered whenever I left the ROOM, went outside, or otherwise was out of her sight when I first got her. The problem was very short-lived (thank Dog!), and she, too, waits patiently for her turn to train.

I actually like training them together - it seems to motivate them, AND, they learn from each other, making my work much less! LOL Maddy and Beau trained Lucia to walk nicely on leash, to only alert-bark once or twice, then come to get me, and much, much more.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like training them together too, and I do for the most part, like when we're revising stuff they've already learned. But there are things that I want to work on separately... Honey's recall, for instance, isn't as good as Spunky's, so I want to practice that with her alone. Then there's free shaping... sometimes while I'm watching one dog, I won't catch a behaviour offered by the other. Or I'll click one dog and the other will misinterpret it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
A long, long time ago in a different universe I would get off work drive home(Chicago) and take 1 male Weimie, 1 male Lab and a female Weimie out of house off lead heel a block to empty schoolyard. 2 would be put on downstays while I worked the 3rd then swapping as needed until all were worked and return home. A CD was put on the female Weimie and all were hunting dogs and the male Weimie was trialed(my 1st ever trial dog) The work done was 90% negative as the dogs on downstays were not allowed to interfere. The training together was done after each dog had some basics and then just the off lead and auto sits and stays were all I needed as I was not interested in anything else. It was much easier than making trips back and forth to home to get different dog.(I was lazy) This is just anecdotal not advice on what to do.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Honey's recall, for instance, isn't as good as Spunky's, so I want to practice that with her alone.
That's the perfect set-up for two dog training. You put both in the sit...walk away and call. The one who gets to you first gets a treat....I would imagine that would be Spunky. In the meantime, Honey is saying WTH?! Set them up again....I'll be willing to bet Honey is much faster out of the chute....she may still not beat Spunky but, you must reward the extra effort by Honey.
If it's the Front you're really working on then, yes, that needs separate work.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I used to have the same problem. The other 3 dogs are fine behind the gate but B'asia would whine and bark. I ignored her completely and eventually, she gave it up. Now, she knows the routine and that her tantrum isn't going to make me open the gate.

Sometimes I put 3 of them in a down stay in the same room with me while I work with the fourth. If you do this, make the sessions short so the other one doesn't get too impatient.

I don't think clicker training them together is practical, especially a new behavior, because of how vital the clicker timing is.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I do have that element of competition, Tooney, not just for recalls but also for faster sits, downs, etc. It doesn't really solve the root problem, though, which is that I can't get new behaviours or shaping down as efficiently as I could because I can't get Honey alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts