Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you've seen my other posts, I recently got a new puppy.
And yesterday was his first walk, and I decided to go against what I originally planned to do for my puppy, which was feed him in the morning and walk him in the evening because it'll fit in with my school hours and I'll be able to spend plenty more time with him.
So yesterday out of pure excitement I decide to take my puppy with my older dog, and my dad who walks the older dog.

This morning my dad goes off to take my older dog whilst me and my puppy are still in bed, hearing all the commotion, Jimmy jumps off my bed and goes downstairs, after 5 minutes I don't hear anything and Jimmy hasn't come back, and he has taken my puppy on his walk with him... Without even telling me...

My dad wants me to take him out on the same walks as the older dogs, but I'd rather take my puppy out on my own....

Whats the best walking scheme for a dog? Or does it not matter at all?
Its just annoyed me because my parents think I won't even take my dog out ever, and when I get the chance, they can't just give it another hour or so for me to do it myself.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with a dog getting two walks instead of one so long as the dog isn't overworked. A puppy may have some good energy stored up and perhaps they can really benefit from this type of arrangement. There will be something to work them in the day and so they're calmer when you're at school and then when you're coming home be ready for more activity.

It seems like the problem is more that you don't like how your dad handled the situation. It's best to at least try to communicate what boundaries you want and maybe close your door when you sleep. I don't know what is Jimmy's current energy level, but maybe try to think if your parents are somewhat right that you need to take him out more for his current needs. I sometimes think it's a parent and child living thing, but we just don't want them to "parent" us on things about our life when we are "adults". May take things the wrong way even though it wasn't intended from a bad place. It seems he was just trying to do right. I probably would have done the same if anyone elses dog in the household begged to come on a walk.

I'm actually a bit envious. I have parents and in laws that will just feed bad sh!t to my dogs (despite me telling them do not) and just let them wander the house and be nuts. It seems a lot of people here complain that family do things that set the dog back. I wish I had family that understood dogs need exercise and cared enough to make sure theirs gets a good walk and when we visit care that our dogs can come too.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you are going to allow a pup that young to run loose in the house first thing in the morning, you should thank your dad for taking him out to the bathroom. If you don't want him to take him, then get up and take him yourself the SECOND he is up. Welcome to puppyhood. There's a reason most people get a dog to practice on before they have kids.

But really, you have to work with your parents and figure out a schedule and ground rules. Your pup is going to hear the noise and want to go out, so either let your dad take him, or get up and take him on a separate walk.

If he's just about three months old, he should be on at least two meals a day, and get several little walks a day. Not marathon hikes, but around the block to explore and go potty etc. as well as socialize. If you are on top of things and get him out often enough and show your parents you are reliable, then eventually they'll wait that hour for you to do it.

And yes, don't complain about parents who want to help! Mine did things like 'forget' to shut the gate then refuse to go to the pound and reclaim the dog who took off because they 'couldn't tell which one he was and didn't want to get the wrong one'. Last time they ever got to dogsit and they've never babysat their grandkids either, imagine that! LOL

·
Registered
245 Posts
It might not be a bad thing to take the puppy with the older dog on walks if the "energy" of the older dog is calm. He may teach the puppy how to behave on walks. If he pulls and barks and whatnot, the puppy will pick up on that too, and I dont think you want that. It is up to you tho, if it is YOUR dog. But just to let you know, making a 3 mth old puppy wait an hour to go out while you get ready, wont work. He cant wait that long. Right now your world should be about him, not you. Think about what is best for him, your dad just may have done you a favor, even if it was his "first" walk that you wanted to do with him, there will be other "first" things. Dont miss out on them! :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Is he fully vaccinated? (Series of 3 shots given 2-3 weeks apart). If not, I wouldn't be walking him anywhere other than your backyard, due to Parvo/Distemper. If he is, then he needs more than one walk a day. First thing in the am, several short potty breaks during the day, and again at night. Going with another dog, if it's well behaved is great for teaching them manners and giving them confidence, although you'll want to make sure he learns to go solo as well.
With a puppy, you probably need to get up earlier than you would normally, as well. Once the puppy wakes up, he's going to need to go out. Waiting an hour probably won't work if you want to housebreak him.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I wouldn't complain if someone responsible took my dog on a walk. . .

Of course, the lack of communication is annoying, but the more walks the better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts