Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so this is our first dog, a male 12-wk goldendoodle (it seems like every time I post here the number of weeks increases! eek!) and we've been having one issue in getting Remus to sit:

He knows that "sit" means to sit down if he's standing up, but he doesn't know it means to sit up if he is lying down. We have tried holding the treat above his head to make him sit up, but all he does is stand up, and/or bark or snap his teeth at us.

Any way to fix it? I'm sure other people must've had this problem.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
How exactly are you luring the sit? Are you dragging the reward from his nose, up, and over his head? Or are you just holding the reward over his head?

If he stands that's okay, just finish the lure to sit like you would from stand.

Are you using a bridge word or clicker?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, well he's at the point now when he sits when he hears the word (and when he feels like it, but that's another thing). I think initially he learned it because he was little, and would just sit down alot, whenever he was uncertain about anything, or when he wanted something, or just randomly, so we used that to our advantage.

We don't have a clicker, but we sometimes use the bridge word "good". Probably not as regularly as we should.

Also he is very inconsistent with his commands; sometimes instead of sitting he tries to jump up and bite the treat out of my hand (I don't give it to him, but still, he was much better when he first learned the sit).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
He's still very young so I would tend to use games to teach rather than formal obedience sessions for the most part. One game that's fun and provides a good foundation for more formal training is a doggy version of Follow The Leader. You basically play it just like the children's game you probably remember playing. Start with the pup on leash and do various behaviors (walk, run, turns, sits, downs, etc.) with the dog. Don't worry about putting names to the behaviors especially at first. You run, pup runs, you walk pup walks (well sort of any way LOL), you sit pup sits, etc. It's ok to help the pup do the behavior. Once the pup gets the idea of the game you'll notice him watching you to see what you're going to do next. That's the perfect time to start putting a name to each behavior. After a while you can even play the game with the dog off lead (in a safe area of course). Most dogs, once they learn the game, love it especially, I think, watching the crazy human attempting to do sits and downs.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
At 12 weeks he's still not going to be 100 percent on those sits...especially if you are working in new areas each time..it takes time to generalize and work under increasing distractions and this is where you see him "sitting if he feels like it". So, he's not being stubborn..he hasn't practiced enough in enough places to generalize...it can take HUNDREDS of reps of a new behaviour to proof it.
Anyhoo..for luring the sit from a down..when you use the lure you have to hold it VERY close to his nose to start and move the lure slowly up and over to help prevent the pop up into a stand..if he pops up you are moving too fast. If he pops up ask him to go back down and start over. Try your best to keep the rate of reinforcement high so if he's having too much trouble and getting frustrated...take a break and do something he DOES know and then try again later.

The bridge word "good" may not be effective in the long run as it's a word we often use indiscriminately with our dogs for many different things...I would suggest you use a long sibilant YESSSSSS or something unusual like Bingo to use as a bridge. It would be clearer to the puppy. This is the nice thing about a clicker..consistent, unusual and always the same tone, speed etc.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sit from down is considered an advanced exercise. This is not required in obedience until the Utility level.

Please remember that your puppy is a BABY!! If he is sitting for you at 12 weeks, he is doing great!

When I begin to teach a dog to sit from down, I use the leash to help control the dog, and I gently take a step into the dog. While I am taking the step into the dog, I hold the lead with my left hand, slide my right hand down the lead and gently sweep it upwards (the hand signal for sit from down), and help the dog come up into a sit position.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
we do sits from a down once the dog has a grasp of both. I call them puppy pushups. Down them, and then slowly lure the front in back up. If he keeps bouncing up into a stand try lure more slowly.

Don't worry about not having a clicker. You don't necessarily have to have one. Just teach him all of his basics. People have been teaching puppies their sits, downs, comes etc without a clicker for ages and ages. :p Just remember to keep up the praise and make it FUN FUN FUN.

When you tell him to sit and he doesn't, then gently 'scoop' his but into the sit. Never give a command you can't enforce.

It sounds like he's doing really well!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. Skelaki, follow the leader sounds really fun! I'll def try it.

Redyre, I didn't know that it's an advanced exercise, maybe we won't even worry about it for now. I'd much rather prefer to have him do a few things really well than 20 things only sporadically.

Thanks Cracker and txcollies too, it helps sooo much to have these forums, since there's so many things to remember all at once, and we get confused and forget what the important ones are haha.

PS Cracker, woot, Toronto! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts