Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a bit of a problem here. My roommate just brought a new dog home the other day. It is a 1 year old male what looks to be a Pit Bull or a Pit mix. I met and saw it two days in a row with my roommate there and it was fine. Wagged it's tail, came up to me and let me pet it just fine. Then I come home for lunch today and my roommate isn't home and I see the dog looking out the front window. I open the door and the dog is fine, greets me, no problems. I then go upstairs (I live in a three story townhouse and my bedroom is on the top floor) to my room. When I try to come out to go back to work, I go down to the second floor and the dog comes out of my roommates room and looks at me and starts jumping around, barking and growling at me, so I go back in my room. I then wait a few minutes and try to come down again only to see the dog sitting at his door and when it sees me he shows his teeth and growls at me. I didn't end up going back to work, because I'm thinking that this dog is going to attack me.

So, what should I do here? I now don't really feel comfortable with this dog here. I would not have been comfortable with a pit bull before hand, but when I saw it I said I'll give it a chance, but this is unacceptable to me. It really bothers me too because my roommate never asked me or my other roommate if we would mind him getting a dog, and I wouldn't have minded, except for the fact that it is a pit bull, and he doesn't seem to know much about dogs. Just to state too, I am not afraid of dogs, I have had dogs growing up my entire life. I have no idea what this dog is capable of. I think he got the dog off of the internet from some local guy, so I have no clue about anything about this dog. The big thing too is that our apartment says that you cannot have dogs over 35 lbs., and no dangerous breeds. Just curious what you guys think I should do. Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The dog shouldn't have free roam of the house when his owner is not home. It's not fair to the other people in the house, especially if it's showing behavior like this.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Crate train the dog, and if the owner isn't home the dog should be crated. Sounds like he may be gaurding his owners room. I would print out NILIF (in the training section) and have everyone in the house do it with the dog. Also, tell your room mate to take the dog to obedience classes and if possible everyone in the house should go too. But, crating the dog or closing it into the owners room when he is not home would solve the problem.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If this situation is real, I would encourage the OP to leave the dog alone, and not to attempt training techniques.

If the dog has an unstable temperment, a professional trainer should deal with the dog, not a novice that is obviously uncomfortable with the animal. As dogs can sense fear, if the OP stresses the dog, it could have negative consequences for both the OP and the dog.

Just for my opinion, if I was THAT uncomfortable with the animal, I would remove myself and my belongings from the situation. A broken lease sucks, but living in peace worth it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think you should tell your roomate exactly what you wrote here. You should not be forced to be living in a situation you are not comfortable in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with West. I love dogs but this pooch needs some serious training and needs to be constrained. No one should feel threatened in their own home.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yikes. Smart move to stay put. I can't imagine being trapped like that in my own home! Your roommate is inconsiderate, at best, and cost you a half-day's pay, to boot. Think I'd be handing him a bill, and giving the dog the boot! (Sorry, dog.)

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
As is so often the case, this is 10% dog problem and 90% human problem - in this case, your roommate.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree with what everyone else wrote and would say that what your roommate did was unfair. I just want to add, though, that most pit bulls are actually very sweet dogs and with time, this one may be too. He's in a state of shock right now since he's in a new home. Also, is he neutered? He definitely needs to be if he isn't. He needs to be exercised regularly, including frequent walks, too. This is your roommate's responsibility since it's his dog.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Wow, that is a really bad roommate. I thought I'd had some bad ones, but that takes the cake. Your roommate is putting you at risk for losing your security deposit and getting you kicked out of the house. If I were you, I wouldn't try to get rid of the dog, I'd try to get rid of the roommate.
The advice other people offered is good. The roommate MUST buy a crate or contain the dog in her/his bedroom when s/he isn't home. The lack of knowledge on the roommate's part is what's dangerous, not the breed of the dog. It sounds like it could be a nice dog that just needs work -- work that this roommate is totally unprepared to do.
First step: make the roommate contain the dog when s/he's not home.
Second step: make the roommate either move out or adopt the dog out to a different home. Immediately.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
That's not a problem with a new dog. The problem is with the jerk carrying leash.

Pit Bulls are actually wonderful dogs, but they tend to attract idiot owners who turn them into basket cases. The roommate has to go, whether he keeps the dog or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your responses, they have been really helpful. The thing about the dog is that I don't think my roommate has any idea what kind of temperament the dog has or what the previous owner was like with him. I think he just bought this dog on a whim, and I am pretty sure he doesn't have much experience with dogs. It just doesn't make sense for him to get a dog now without telling us, as we move out in August and I'll never see him again. I just wish he would have waited until then.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
This seems like an easy fix to me...tell your roommate about what happened, remind him that your rental agreement says no large dogs and no "dangerous" breeds, and then tell him you will report the entire situation to management if he doesn't get it out of there. I guarantee that management will be sympathetic to you since you are trying NOT to break the rules.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts