Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone~ I'm having huge problems with counter-surfing and garbage, the main problem here is that I live with my mother and she is becoming so fed up it's not the first time she talked about "giving her up to somebody else" who knows how to deal with these things. As you imagine, I'm dying of nervousness right now. Tróia (7 months old) just went through the garbage this morning, it was all over the floor in the kitchen. My mom exploded, came to wake me up etc. Eventually it was all cleaned out but later that hour SHE WENT FOR IT AGAIN. She doesn't do it when somebody's there, it's just when she's "alone".
I just need everybody's wise council on this, I'm so afraid that I can't cope with this and make her behave... yesterday she caught bread and we had no bread for breakfast and my mom was half-calm about it, but today was another of those days of chaos and despair and she talked about giving her up to somebody who'd own a farm...
Help? I really need it :(

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Welcome to DF and congrats on your puppy. Sorry you have so much stress right now - puppies can do that.

Personally, I've found that management is a godsend for working with inquisitive puppies. My younger dog gets his nose into everything including what's on the counters and in the garbage, so - we keep counters clear or items of interest out of reach and have the garbage closed in a cabinet. You might find that removing opportunity lessens her interest in exploring.

Kikopup has a video for dealing with counter surfing: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0rUBnLO57ZOHmvaGmunsQWM2tPB9JYUD

One of our trainers suggested a time out every time my pup jumped up to the counter, but he'd jump up and then run to his crate so it wasn't super effective for us.

Keep in mind that these are self-reinforcing behaviors, so every time he successfully snags a treat he wins the lottery so to speak. These types of behaviors can be difficult to eliminate and take time, consistency, and patience. If I were in your place, I'd start with strict management - keeping him out of the kitchen or very closely supervised to prevent undesirable behavior before she acts.

I'll also comment that at 7 months, neither of my dogs were out of my sight for more than a few seconds at a time. They were closed in (baby gate or door) the same room I'm in so that they couldn't go off and get into trouble. My younger one still managed to find trouble, but he was far less destructive than he could have been.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the prompt response!
Well I' ve been browsing everywhere and indeed, it seems the garbage is being a real temptation, we don't have a lid on it but i'm gonna buy a big one and I'm thinking about buying Snappy Trainers for it plus the counter, what do you think?
Problem too is that when she's left alone at home, kitchen is where she's left at (where her crate is), but I always make sure there's nothing on the counters etc, yet last time she managed to get something I thought she wouldn't reach, and I don't have much more space where I can stuff everything! ;_; I also read that spreading tabasco sauce over the borders of the garbage bin would help, but knowing her, she'd probably lick it and enjoy it instead haha... x)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Food put away off the counters, leftovers that might have seconds taken from them yet before being put away go up into the microwave out of reach.

Garbage can is under the kitchen sink in the cabinet with a child safety lock.

This is living with our PWD. She will steal anything with a flavor. It's just what dogs do. Be a good human and manage the situation. If we leave food out on the counter and Echo steals it, it's our fault. Dogs are scavengers, and while counter surfing and trash rummaging is revolting to us it's normal for them.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I got this trash can: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/18082952462939496004?lsf=seller:8740,store:16301213160329307081&prds=oid:11462673863736167541&q=rubbermaid+spring+top+kitchen+trash+can&hl=en&ei=W85JV_ecDZqGyAKB25T4Dw&lsft=cm_mmc:Shopping-_-LIAs-_-D28I-_-204605563 and it's great. I suppose a very determined dog might be able to chew their way in or something, but it definitely keeps a typical trash-digger out. The top locks down all around so it won't come off when they tip it over. I also appreciate that the bag is fully inside, because my cats like to shred the bag edge when it sticks out :/. I've come home to it tipped over many times, and nobody has ever gotten in!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts