Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have had Fox or Rat terriers for 30 years. Currently we have a 9 year old, 6 year old, and a 7 month old puppy. We trail ride and horse camp often. Our dogs have always been off leash home and riding. The problem is the puppy is not responding to a "come here" command when we are at any group situation. When at home ( we live on a farm so he is always outside when we are) or with us alone he is 95% obedient. When in a more public place he will start to wander off immediately. I call him back and he stops, looks at me and blatantly continues away. I am having to keep him leashed, but wandering if someone could give me an idea of what to do next. I have used treats when he does respond well. I have let him go on a long line and made him come back that way also. thanks

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Practice recalls at home, ... practice practice and more practice ... until they are 100% (not 95%) under ALL conditions. THEN, and only then, begin to take the show on the road.

If you're accepting of a 5% non-compliance rate at home, just imagine how that will play out with the multitude of distractions while on the trails.

BTW, if you're "making" him come back by reeling him in with a long line, he's really not learning. Well, at least not learning anything desirable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts