Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have two dogs, a blue healer/border collie mix; and a american rednose pitbull terrier.

The problem is with the pitbull, he's the sweetest, kindest dog on the face of the planet(much against the stereotype, he is the least aggressive dog i've ever owned.)

we suspect the problem may be due to some sort of damage caused by him having Parvovirus, he barely survived the ordeal, but since then, he licks obsessively, more than any dog i've ever seen, and it's not himself, it's people, and like objects, he'll sit there and lick the couch, the bed, everything.

and he always jumps up to sit on your lap, and he will agressively lick your face, despite repeated scolding, and other non-physical methods (of course it's a pitbull, they require a different approach.)

How do we get him to stop licking, he receives plenty of attention; loads of exercise; he runs paces with the blue healer, whom is a work dog, and can run for hours on end.

I'm at a loss guys, hope you guys have better ideas than we do.

Thanks.

:confused:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sounds like an allergy. Allergies cause the tongue to itch and it's usually the first sign. Other allergy signs are gunky eyes, scratching (itchy skin) and licking of the paws (paws are 2nd in sensitivity to allergies). Food allergy is the most common but, there are others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like an allergy. Allergies cause the tongue to itch and it's usually the first sign. Other allergy signs are gunky eyes, scratching (itchy skin) and licking of the paws (paws are 2nd in sensitivity to allergies). Food allergy is the most common but, there are others.

it doesn't seem like an allergy, he has none of the other symptoms, and he isn't always just licking constantly, it's usually when he's around people, he starts to obsessively lick, he'll lick your legs for an hour if you let him,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts