Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this one 'acquaintance' (I would call her a friend but I really do not consider her a friend ~) lets just call her Judy.

Anyways, everytime Judy comes over she does everything wrong with my 8 week old puppy, Nika. If I try to correct her on it she is very RUDE and says 'I have 2 dogs, don't you think I know a thing or two about dogs?'

Nika is very smart and I am teaching her clicker training and knows basic commands and is working on impulse control with her right now.

Anyways, Judy took Nika out on her leash when I went downstairs to use the bathroom, When I got outside Nika was wrapped 3-4 times around her leash. When I corrected Judy about It she got very rude towards me and said her bit of 'don't you think I know a thing or two?' I brought Nika back in the house and Judy let Nika lick her jawbreaker candy ~ I asked her not to do that because It is not good for dogs, she did her 'don't you think I know' bit again. .... Then, when she was holding Nika.... Nika was chewing on her hair and I asked her not to let Nika do that because I just broke her from chewing on mine and my daughters hair... She just laughed and kept waving her hair at Nika so Nika would chew on it....

HELP!! I've tried not to answer my door to this lady (even before I had Nika) but she does not go away .... she knows when I am home because we live out in the country and my car is here when she shows up (never calls) ....

HELP WHAT am I suppose to do

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have an idiot friend that is much like that. Always teasing my dogs. I don't care for that behavior as I think it can lead to aggression. Oliver my 3 1/2 year old has on a few occasions cried when this guy friend plays with him. I have scolded the friend after asking him not to on several occasions. It is not to the point that I simply do NOT allow him any access to my dogs anymore. IT is sad that it had to come to that but My dogs come first. I don't mind people playing with them at all but they do have to follow my rules. This person refused to do so. NO MORE time with my dogs. I guess how you handle it is your choice. IF this person is NOT a friend as you have stated, it should be an easy choice.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Is there any reason you can't simply explain to her that she will not be welcome in your home if she cannot refrain from breaking your rules for YOUR dog? Or is there any reason you have to let her in if she does come knocking?

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
You have a people problem, not a dog problem. If you can't stand up to Judy, she's going to continue to plague you and your pup in additional, imaginative ways.

Unless you have some contractual obligation to Judy, lock the doors and ignore her. Life is too short to deal with people like that if you don't have to.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
When you answer the door you can tell her you are not in the mood for company. You can add that you wish she had called first so she did not waste the dirve over. Then ask her to leave. Then shut the door. Doing this is very self empowering!

If you let her in, you TELL her she is being RUDE and you do nto tolerate rudeness. She can keep her dog opinions to her self and if she cannot follow your rules, then the door is over yonder.. don't let it hit you in the backside on the way out...

Unannounced visitors give you the option of allowing them in or not. It is like when the phone rings. This is MY house and MY privacy and if I do not want it intruded on, I do not answer the phone (I NEVER run for it either.. if it is important they will call me back).

Your house, your rules, your dog. You don't allow others to poke, prod, command, push lead, pester, bully, feed, tease or otherwise aggravate your animals...

Ya know.. yeah.. what RonE just said...

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
According to Transylvanian lore, even vampires cannot enter your home unless you explicitly invite them in.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
According to Transylvanian lore, even vampires cannot enter your home unless you explicitly invite them in.
That doesn't mean they can't peer pressure you into letting them in. ;S

"C'mooooonnn, pleaaassee let me in?"

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not like being rude to people ... but I agree, for the sake of little Nika I need to put an end to her coming over!!! Is there some sort of 'rude people shot' I could give her!!!

thanks for all your advice ... just think I needed to vent!!!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Oh MY! ROFLMAO

I do not like being rude to people ... but I agree, for the sake of little Nika I need to put an end to her coming over!!! Is there some sort of 'rude people shot' I could give her!!!!!!
Oh yes.. I can think of a few but they are all correction based....

.. and I know you are trying to work thru clicker training! :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I do not like being rude to people ... but I agree, for the sake of little Nika I need to put an end to her coming over!!! Is there some sort of 'rude people shot' I could give her!!!

thanks for all your advice ... just think I needed to vent!!!
I wouldn't see this as you being rude--you're protecting your dog and the work done with her. You have every right to enforce the correct treatment of your dog and control access to your home.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I do not like being rude to people
Rudeness is not required - even in response to rudeness.

All that's needed is direct frankness. "I think your methods are interfering with my puppy-training and you're being a real bitch about it."

Yes, I think that should do it.

(Venting is fine, but you've tossed us the ball and now we're running with it.)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I have a people problem, too, but I love the people. They're almost my in-laws, but every time we visit they cannot refrain from feeding my dogs off their plates. My dogs are NOT allowed "people" food (I'm talking pizza, precooked microwave meals, ice cream, etc) and they know we don't allow it, and have tried to sneak it while I wasn't in room, which blew up in their face when my mutt (who doesn't eat any thing handed to her by anyone but me without showing me first) brought a giant chunk of little cesears (like I REALLY want my dog eating that) pizza into the bathroom and dropped it at my feet.

They love our dogs, and want to keep seeing them, and I've threatened multiple times not to bring them over anymore if they don't stop, but they continue. I haven't brought the dogs over in two months and keep hearing about it from my boyfriend that his parents are upset, but I can't risk it. Not only are they breaking our training (our dogs did not beg for food until this, and always went to their beds when we were cooking and eating) but my mutt has a gastric intestinal disorder that is upset very easily and this kind of business put her in the hospital for four days this summer. I have flat out said "She will DIE if you keep doing this." but it's in one ear out the other. The last time I brought them over they were showing their grandchildren how to give them bits of ice cream sandwich. :eek:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh MY! ROFLMAO

Oh yes.. I can think of a few but they are all correction based....

.. and I know you are trying to work thru clicker training! :D
does clicker training work on rude neighbors?

Since there are/were people that have this problem, can't you just say no, take your dog/pup, go home and ignore the bastard?
it is my home!!!

Rudeness is not required - even in response to rudeness.

All that's needed is direct frankness. "I think your methods are interfering with my puppy-training and you're being a real bitch about it."

Yes, I think that should do it.

(Venting is fine, but you've tossed us the ball and now we're running with it.)

I like your suggestion!!! LMAO

I have a people problem, too, but I love the people. They're almost my in-laws, but every time we visit they cannot refrain from feeding my dogs off their plates. My dogs are NOT allowed "people" food (I'm talking pizza, precooked microwave meals, ice cream, etc) and they know we don't allow it, and have tried to sneak it while I wasn't in room, which blew up in their face when my mutt (who doesn't eat any thing handed to her by anyone but me without showing me first) brought a giant chunk of little cesears (like I REALLY want my dog eating that) pizza into the bathroom and dropped it at my feet.

They love our dogs, and want to keep seeing them, and I've threatened multiple times not to bring them over anymore if they don't stop, but they continue. I haven't brought the dogs over in two months and keep hearing about it from my boyfriend that his parents are upset, but I can't risk it. Not only are they breaking our training (our dogs did not beg for food until this, and always went to their beds when we were cooking and eating) but my mutt has a gastric intestinal disorder that is upset very easily and this kind of business put her in the hospital for four days this summer. I have flat out said "She will DIE if you keep doing this." but it's in one ear out the other. The last time I brought them over they were showing their grandchildren how to give them bits of ice cream sandwich. :eek:

Im affraid when I go visit my parents in two months they will do the same with Nika, They table feed their dogs!!! UGGH!!!! I will drop them hints ahead of time ...

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Im affraid when I go visit my parents in two months they will do the same with Nika, They table feed their dogs!!! UGGH!!!! I will drop them hints ahead of time ...
Don't drop hints, just tell them not to. Obviously in my situation it's difficult getting them to listen, but if you don't want it to happen, you're responsible for stopping it from happening. I know I'm hurting some feelings with my in-laws, but you have to do what is right by your dogs. They do depend on us.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Frankly, there is nothing wrong with answering the door, telling her you are busy and can't invite her in, and close the door. You didn't invite her over. What's next? She'll be spanking your kids because they did something she didn't like. Or she'll let them have a sip of her beer after you said it was wrong.

Worse case,, put the puppy in his crate with a bone, then have a quick visit with her.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG!! Guess who stopped in .... ? yeah 'JUDY' finaly got rid of her an hour later .... (I dont think she will be back) If i new she was coming I would have made a nose dive for the house .... I was out back walking/playing frisbee with Nika and Snickers, my husband was planting... so, obviously she 'found' us home!!!

Anyways .... I did not see her walking out back and it actually startled me when 'Snickers' went running and Nika trying to keep up!!! so much for teaching Nika frisbee!!!
ok so lets make a long story short .... during the 'visit' Judy smacked Nika on the butt with the frisbee like 3 times 'not hard' but enough to scare Nika ... (Nika does not want anything to do with the frisbee now) .... I told her to quit ... then when walking up to the house ... Judy snatched Nika up and ...'Snickers' snapped at Judy ... which 'Snickers' has never done before to anyone .... LOL i thought it was funny in away ... but, i would never want my dogs to bite anyone ....
anyways, Judy dropped Nika onto her feet from about 3ft high .... when we got up to the house I put Nika and Snickers into their crates .... she (Judy) went to Snickers crate and smacked the crate really hard where it actually moved (Snickers is 100+ pounds) and then went to nikas and rocked her crate back and forth ....

I had enough and took the advice of my friends here on the forum .... and told her she had to leave that NO ONE IS TO TREAT MY DOGS THEY WAY SHE HAS TREATED SNICKERS AND NIKA ... I did say a few bad words in between but .... anyways she left and tore up my gravel driveway on her way out !!!!
So thank you for your advice....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wow she sounds like a lovely person!

I am blown away. At least it shows you have major patience :) I'd probably have smacked her with the frisbee lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts