Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden puppy Riley thinks nothing of jumping up and taking from our plates he took some from my sons hand and bit him. He barks than my boxer jumps in thinking she is getting some too and they end up getting into a fight under the table. Whats some things I can try that dinner time can once again become peaceful. BTW Riley is extremely food motivated. Thanks

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
If he were mine he would be crated during dinner hopefully in another room. From your post it sounds like you have 2 dogs with you in room during dinner and one is a pup (how old) pups/dogs must be trained to down-stay. Until they are, a crate is the weapon of choice at our home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 4 dogs but those 2 are the problems. I did crate him and he started barking and my neighbors (I live in a duplex) Believe they are trainers that no dog should bark more than 5 mins well they started banging on my wall. I am going to pick some kongs up tomorrow for them in crates but in the meantime how is crating him during dinner really teaching him its not ok to do whats he doing. Thanks

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
The crate work is just now so you can eat in peace, only way to stop the silly stuff is training. I got to say that with 4 dogs in the home you have a problem. Have you obedience trained any of the dogs. Do your neighbors have dogs that are mannerly, if so asking them for advice may not be a bad idea. 1 dog in a home is easy, 2 dogs in a home could be a problem 4 dogs and 1 being a puppy is 4 steps the other side of insanity. As you said the pup started it then the Boxer jumped in, it's kinda like a snowball rolling down a hill it usually just gets bigger and bigger. Somebody will jump on I'm sure as I am an aversive trainer and do not give that type of advice on pups/dogs I can't read. Again how old is the pup.

One idea is to eat in shifts and one person stay with pup in a different room. These are stopgap measures to be used until regular training can be done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pup is 4.5 months. 2 of the dogs lay under the table. They are good. The boxer is usually good but the pup starts jumping and barking than she get pretty aggressive. I ended up caging her too. I have asked my neighbors many times for training help and they say they will than never do. For the pup barking or any of my dog their suggestion is a bark collar they wanted me to put a bark collar on my yorkie for peats sake. I dont mind crating him he just barks and barks because he knows we have food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She gets pushy about it. Thinks she knows everything. I want to do a different way. Im thinking kongs what are good long lasting stuffers. Thanks

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Kongs are great. You could put some of your pup's dinner in there along with peanut butter (unsalted is good) and freeze it. The freezing is key, makes it last a long time. My dog gets a Kong with a few kibbles, a couple of freeze-dried liver bits, plain nonfat yogurt, and unsweetened/all natural applesauce, frozen. You could also try something like sour cream or cream cheese. Keeps her out of trouble in her crate in the afternoons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts