Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
Ok, maybe I am missing something here but doesn't a electronic fence work on both sides, so his dogs will get zapped too. Right?

Depends on how you have the wire fence installed. If you have an outer fence that is electrified and the inner fence is not then the dogs on the inner fence will not get the shock. I see no reason to electrify a fence though. I do know that if I had 6 acres of property I would not want my dog or dogs to be able to have access to all 6 acres. I'd like to be able to supervise them and the area for people coming on to the property and trying to steal the dogs. One or two acres is plenty of space.

One of our local dog parks is 2 acres and there is room for plenty of dogs and there owners. I have seen at least 30 dogs in the all dog area which is only 1.5 acres and the under 35 pound area is 1/2 acre and there is plenty of room. So a full acre or two fenced in would be way more than enough space for two or three dogs.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Here's an off-the-wall thought. Any wildlife (deer, elk, etc.) in the are or any cattle/sheep ranchers? if so, just keep reporting to Fish & Game or to any local ranchers, animal control, police, etc that you've seen the dog/s chasing wildlife, cattle, or especially sheep when you were out walking with your dogs. Even if you haven't seen the dog do so it probably has and is if it's wandering like that. Ranchers or law enforcement including rangers have the legal right to shoot and kill any dog harrassing wildlife/livestock, although they prefer to warn the owner first.

I would not like to see any dog killed due to the stupidity of it's owner but it's likely to happen one day, one way or another unfortunately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay, the latest. Our airedale followed the problem dog home and was gone all night. When he came back in the morning you could tell he had been kicked, HARD. He lay around for two days and couldn't walk. And the worst part is that our airedale is so friendly I am sure he walked right up to the man. AND my dog wouldn't even be on their property if he hadn't followed his stupid dog home. The owner had told my husband he just flat didn't let other dogs on his property, and he was AGGRESSIVE towards them. Like we could even get close enough to be aggressive. We've done the bb gun. But they still come back. We set the trap last night but nothing. We are keeping our dogs in the kennel at night now. Yesterday morning at 3:30am we were awakened by a dog barking. My husband looked out to see the problem dog literally barking at our dogs in the kennel. He shooed him off.
I am thinking now that the best idea might be to put up an electric fence along the river. But then that keeps my lab from doing his thing! he loves the river. And I am afraid that it would permanently keep him away from the river even when we took it down.

Also, my son reported that he was in town and saw a dog who looked EXACTLY like the problem dog running around a gas station. His girlfriend wanted to pick him up and my son said, "If you want to have any kind of relationship with my mom, you will NOT bring that dog back to our neighborhood!" Alas, he was gone for three days but returned.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. And the idea about the cattle, sheep would be great if there were any cattle or sheep around.

At a loss, Susan

·
Registered
962 Posts
Now this is getting ridiculous. you got this neighbor that has a dog that goes on your property at will , and they can care less, but if your dog wondered on his property he kicks your dog (hard). You guys sound like a bunch of wimps. If you do not have the B---s to confront these people, I would move cause they see you both as cowards and can have there way with you. I am sorry but this story upsets me, if you cannot face this a$$ hole, and want to stay there, then maybe you should think about rehoming your dogs, then you will not have to deal with him or his dogs. This is no longer a case of some one dogs coming on your property but a neighbor that wants to harm you dog! How could you people even enjoy living there for one moment with neighbors as discusting as they sound?:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Now this is getting ridiculous. you got this neighbor that has a dog that goes on your property at will , and they can care less, but if your dog wondered on his property he kicks your dog (hard). You guys sound like a bunch of wimps. If you do not have the B---s to confront these people, I would move cause they see you both as cowards and can have there way with you. I am sorry but this story upsets me, if you cannot face this a$$ hole, and want to stay there, then maybe you should think about rehoming your dogs, then you will not have to deal with him or his dogs. This is no longer a case of some one dogs coming on your property but a neighbor that wants to harm you dog! How could you people even enjoy living there for one moment with neighbors as discusting as they sound?:mad:
We are not a bunch of wimps. We are trying to live peacefully with another culture. Granted, this particular man has no regard for his dogs or other people's property. And we have no intention of "rehoming" our dogs. We will work it out, one way or another.

·
Registered
233 Posts
well no offence but you're trying to be peaceful and is it working? are things getting worse or better? you're letting them walk all over you guys(and their dog too, literally).

if youre goign to spend money on a fence i think itd be better to spend money on a pro to come out and catch/trap the dog and then bring it to the shelter or wherever. one thats at least 100 miles away so they have less chance of picking him back up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
just want to apologize for my last comment, I was out of line, It just angers me when I hear stuff like that, reminds me of the school yard bully picking on what he perceives as a easy target. Hope you all find a way to resolve this in your favor, especially for your well mannered dog. Is that river deep enough for boating? You must really like it there to put up with deranged neighbors, and a police dept., none existent or bias.

·
Banned
749 Posts
We are not a bunch of wimps. We are trying to live peacefully with another culture. Granted, this particular man has no regard for his dogs or other people's property. And we have no intention of "rehoming" our dogs. We will work it out, one way or another.

If it were me I would set a humane trap. Then take the trap and dog about 75 miles or so away to a shelter. Tell them that you were driving through town and caught the dog. Problem would be solved then.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts