Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in on 6 acres. We have two dogs (spayed males) and a cat. For the last few months we have had a neighbor's dog at our house. He (he's never been fixed) and my Airdale are "best friends". Sometimes he brings his sister and another unfixed male dog with him. Our yard is totally fenced, and we spent a pretty penny fencing it to keep our dogs in. However we live on a river and this dog swims over. I never dreamed we would have a problem of another dog getting in.

I have talked to the owners and they tell me he is fenced in. Well, if he is, he has a way of getting out, because he is at our house EVERY DAY. The problem is, he chases our cat, and there is a regular sexual orgy going on whether the female is present or not. (she also is unfixed) The latest is that our dogs sleep in our bedroom. For the last couple of nights this dog has been coming right up to the house and waking up our Airedale who then wants to go outside and "play". Consequently, it is most disruptive to a good night's sleep. (Our Airdale's bed is next to a low window) Our other male, is not interested in him, unless the whole pack is out there.

He is a nice dog, or was until we started shooing him away. Now we cannot get close to him. However when the other unfixed male, a heeler mix, the unfixed female, a lab mix and our regular buddy are together with our two dogs they take on a pack mentality. My grandkids love our dogs, but cannot be outside when the "pack" is doing their thing. Can you think of ANYTHING we can do?? We have tried everything and in our neighborhood you do not want to irritate the neighbors. (this is not a typical neighborhood)

Thank you, Susie

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ok, The way I understand, your back yard is fenced in, with the exception where this stream comes buy. Sounds simple to me just put a makeshift fence in that area until the other dogs stop coming over because they know they cannot come on your property. I feel you want to keep access open to the stream and appearence as well, but this could be only temporary hopefully! Not sure what you mean by not upsetting a neighbor if they are doing something wrong as in this case letting their dogs go anywhere they please. Something I do not understand by that comment? Is this like the lawless western days. lol

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If their dogs are wandering on to your property call animal control each and every time you see the dogs off the neighbor's property. You can always say you're concerned for the dogs' safety. But, making sure your property is fully and securely fenced will at least keep them off your property. Just use livestock fencing across the stream area, assuming that's the only area not fenced. It'll keep the dogs out and will be easy to remove once they, hopefully, give up trying.

btw, you don't spay males.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What have you said to your neighbors about this??

How many times have you spoken with them about it?

Do you have animal control in your area? Maybe you need to tell your neighbors that the next time you see their dog loose, you'll be calling animal control and they can deal with it from there.

Trust me, I hate hate hate it when people are so irresponsible with their pets and let them roam around everywhere too. But sometimes you have to put your foot down and mean business. You shouldn't have to create another fence just to keep the neighbors dog out.

If you don't have animal control, you could try calling the police. I would hope that if the police came and had a chat with them, they'd be more careful about where they let their dog roam....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have said over and over to my neighbors, PLEASE keep your dog off our property. But to no avail. they are nice people. But you have to understand, yes, we do live in a bit of the wild west. And it is not a stream. It is a river. The Chama River and by law we cannot prevent access to it. We have extended our post and rail fence, with horse fencing into the river about 20 feet. We live on a pie shaped lot. The curve of the pie is the river and it is about 1000 feet long. A fence along it would be prohibitive. And I feel I shouldn't have to spend more money when these people SHOULD be keeping their dogs confined. I think what really upsets me is that they have not fixed any of their three dogs and still they allow them to roam at will. Trust me. I do NOT want to irritate these neighbors. As I said, a bit of the old west. Susie (any other suggestions???)

Okay, okay. I KNOW you don't spay males!! You "neuter" them. Just upset when I wrote this. Read the previous answer cc the fencing the river. Thanks, tho. Susie

No, we do not have animal control in our area. We have a shelter about 30 miles away and when I first returned last December and was told by my son that this dog had been hanging around for two weeks my first thought was to take him to the shelter. (he had a collar, but no tags. Also, appeared well fed). Then, I realized he was more than likely a neighbor's dog. So I attached a note to him. It said, "Please keep your dog off our property. He has been here for two weeks. If he comes again, I will take him to the shelter." I also had my phone number on there. NOT the thing to do. I received a call from a most irate man about 30 minutes later. He was very hard to understand but I got "your dogs" and "shelter". Bascially he was telling me that if I took his dog to the shelter then don't expect to see my dogs again. He also said if his dog had been hanging around for two weeks why didn't we tell him sooner? I told him the dog had no tags. No rabies, no Id. Then he hung up on me. Fortunately his wife called the next day, MOST apologetic. I was releived and we actually began to have a coherent converstation. She said the dogs were fenced in and I offered to walk the fence with her to see where they were getting out. She declined. I think we need to do something to inconvenience the owners. My daughter suggested finding some kind of skunk scent, or horrible scent and spray him with it. Any ideas on what would be offensive to humans on a dog?? Thanks, Susie

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I think we need to do something to inconvenience the owners. My daughter suggested finding some kind of skunk scent, or horrible scent and spray him with it. Any ideas on what would be offensive to humans on a dog??
They might suspect you had something to do with it. After the threat your neighbor made on your dogs, I wouldn't risk it.

Do you think you could make any more headway talking to the wife again?

If not, you might try keeping a log of how much time their dogs spend at your house. Surely someone (shelter, police) can do something about it. And how can they argue against a written log? It could be worth a try . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, but trust me. In the area where I live, the police do not take much note of us. And I have already thought ahead on the smell thing! I would just say, "Yeah, my dogs are smelling too! He must be getting into something over here." But I also thought, if we do put something really smelly on him (assuming we can get that close), then he would just rub it onto our dogs. Thanks for your help, tho. guess I will just have to live with it.
Susie

The reason I say that about the police, we had an ATV stolen, knew exactly who stole it, found it at one point and the police let him get away. (But, and I know this sounds crazy, we love where we live. River, cottonwoods, peace and quiet. (Except now for that crazy dog!!!)

They might suspect you had something to do with it. After the threat your neighbor made on your dogs, I wouldn't risk it.

Do you think you could make any more headway talking to the wife again?

If not, you might try keeping a log of how much time their dogs spend at your house. Surely someone (shelter, police) can do something about it. And how can they argue against a written log? It could be worth a try . . .

·
Registered
962 Posts
If this was happening to me me I would get mighty upset, would have to resolve it. Just wondering not your exact location but where do you live what state? I live In South Dakota, the Black Hills, and it is the most beautiful place I have ever lived, the Native Americans call it a sacred place, I can understand why!!

Have you ever met this guy face to face, think he is a tansplanted foreigner? May be you should have a beer with him and get to know them, and maybe work things out eventually. I am presuming he was there before you moved there? Sound like a nice place, hows the fishing? Is it a good boating area?

·
Registered
233 Posts
if the dog is coming over even at night can you just set up a animal trap and then bring it to the shelter? if it has no tags they wont have anyone to call ?

maybe you should install security cameras too over the area they play incase anything happens to your cat =( at least you'll have proof then. i dont know what the laws are in your state (it sounds like new mexico? )

and if the law is that you cant prohibit access to the river, putting a fence along it wouldnt be preventing access would it? they can still get into the river from the other side, they just cant go far into your property though if you do that.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Here's a thought out of left field....adopt the dog, neuter the dog, train the dog. Is there some kind of local ordinance about strays and having the right to claim them? If the dog really is over at your place that much, sounds like he's found a new home anyway. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I would find a low cost spay/neuter program asap. At least that way they won't be making more nuisances. Tell your neighbors to get an electric fence thing to keep them in their yard. If that doesn't work, I would take them to the shelter. If they're willing to let the dog to go awol all the time, how are they to know that you took them to the shelter?

·
Banned
749 Posts
How much oof your 6 acres is fenced in to keep the fogs in? Alll 6 acres?.

If you have all 6 acres fenced except for the river part than an easy solution but expensive one would be to put a fence inside the 6 acres in an area that your dogs can be in. It could be one acre or 2 acres. There is no reason a dog needs to be somewhere on a whole 6 acres anyhow. In that way you could keep a closer eye on what is going on and keep a closer eye on your dogs for there own safety especially with the neighbor threatening your dogs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The latest. We called the owners yesterday. My husband talked to the man. This was the first time they had talked. (it's always been me and either the man or his wife) My husband got off the phone most bewildered. Apparently the man was very upset. He said there was no way he would tie up his dogs and there was no law in Nm that said he had to. We had called animal control for the county. What a joke. They said they could not just come out and pick up dogs. So, we are going to capture him in our hav-a-heart trap. Just hope it's big enough. And take him to the shelter with the man's name and phone number. We have found out that before he's released from the shelter they have to pay to neuter him. And I am sure a fine for no tags or license. That alone should help matters. The other two dogs won't be coming around if the main male isn't. (hopefully) Not leaving our name with the shelter. My husband thinks the man might be glad to get rid of him. I would think so. He's never there. Sad.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I agree, If you can't do the total fence 1000 ft I would be looking into kennel runs and all that entails, as it sounds like you are going to have to solve this problem yourself. If this is a pc of property and home that you are planning to stay on the rest of your life then the cost of this stuff is prorated out. A concrete pad 1st and then portable kennel runs with tops can be added as needed. I know it's expensive and a pain in the butt to have to do this and even then you will have their dogs over but not able to mix in with your dogs. I like Lola's idea of 1 acre around home area fenced chain link 6 ft high.

·
Registered
172 Posts
you can't restrict access to the river for who/what?

if it's for human use that that law is for, i'd just put up a fence, and a gate allowing access.

do you have a camera? you may want to get some "proof" that something is happening on your property. start making a log book of things that happen also, it'll defineatly help your cause should something legal arise.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Water Rights in New Mexico are a real issue. Restricting access to the river likely has its basis in the whole legal entanglement of water rights.

However, I sure do hear your pain. You can't just go spending money on other people's pets and you are getting no support from AC or the police or the dog's owner. The sad thing is that even if the dog disappears to the shelter, the owner will probably just get another dog! Oh yeah.. it is soooo common.

I like the idea of putting a fenced area within the fenced area, but I would back it up with a really good electric fence.. low impedence the whole nine yards so when the visitors got close, they would have a truly electrifying experience. You need a good ground for this and you probably will want to wet the ground around the lectric fence to insure a good connection. so outside the fence within a fence, I would put up the hot wire.

While you cannot impede access to the river, I bet you could put up a TEMPORARY electric fence that the dogs would hit as they came out of the river.

Typically (and that does not mean ALWAYS) dogs HATE electricity. They will avoid a nasty jolt no matter what. If you nail them good they likely will not be back.

I had a dog (years ago) that accidentally got tangled in an electric fence in the horse pasture. For the rest of that dog's life.. YEARS.. he would not go with me near the horse pasture. He only got nailed one time but I believe you could have heard him in Europe....

Now, I hate to be mean to dogs. I surely do. But this is your place, your dogs and the enjoyment of your property that is being compromised.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you own a hose?

lol

Also - at night, automatic sprinklers should do it....

or a starting pistol may work....

I wouldn't trap your mentally challenged neighbor's dog and take him to the shelter..... he'll know it was your family and you could be putting yourself in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I had some dogs digging under my back fence and coming into my yard, then of course, my dogs could go out. I put a low electric fence wire along the outside of the fence and hooked it up to my horse fencer. Never had any more problems. It does not hurt them but sure scares them off and is not that expensive to put up on the 1000 feet along the edge of the river. You can just pound some low wooden posts into the ground, add an insulator and the wire. You would have to buy a electric fencer but they are not that expensive compared to normal fencing.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ok, maybe I am missing something here but doesn't a electronic fence work on both sides, so his dogs will get zapped too. Right?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts