Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a male and female Pomeranian the female is almost 2 years old the male is 4years old
the male is smaller then her he's size is mini but he's mother father brother and sister turned out big like the parents but him and my female is a medium size so she's a lot bigger them him mind you they are both PURE BREED! and since he's smaller he cant reach her or penetrate her??? me and my partner tried helping them both being clueless if theres a breeder secret or what but tried while she was in heat and nothing it failed and we couldn't even really get him to get it in the right spot !

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
i have a male and female Pomeranian the female is almost 2 years old the male is 4years old
the male is smaller then her he's size is mini but he's mother father brother and sister turned out big like the parents but him and my female is a medium size so she's a lot bigger them him mind you they are both PURE BREED! and since he's smaller he cant reach her or penetrate her??? me and my partner tried helping them both being clueless if theres a breeder secret or what but tried while she was in heat and nothing it failed and we couldn't even really get him to get it in the right spot !

PLEASE HELP
There's no such thing as a mini Pomeranian. Just how big is your female? Is she within the breed standard? What's your reason for wanting to breed them? Have both dogs gotten health clearances for problems common in the breed?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Adding onto the above Do you show them or do any work with them that make them breeding quality?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why do you guys care why I'm breeding? i want my dog to have puppys and both dogs have been given the okay to breed both are healthy and able to give out good litters another thing I'm from Australia and not aware of any dog shows? only one ive seen were easter shows so no my dogs don't go to shows i love my dogs both dearly and would like my dog to be a mum and a dad and in the future if my female dosnt have pups and dosnt get desex it causes her to have health problems in the future my vet said there shouldnt be any problems for both of them to mate but it turns out there is a problem cause he dosnt seem to know what to do and neither do i?

TO ADD ON I DONT WANT PUPPYS FOR MONEY! i wouldn't want to sell them! i wouldn't risk any of my dogs life just for profit or what not.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Lordamercy.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Out of curiosity, why are you breeding these dogs? No offense, but if you're this clueless about breeding dogs, I really don't think you should be doing it at all..leave it for the people who know what they're doing..for your sake and the dogs, please.

Also, Pomeranians are very prone to certain health issues.. My grandmother is a registered Pomeranian breeder with the CKC, in order to breed responsibly they must be health tested, I know my grandmother tests her dogs for patellas, hips, perthes, and thyroid, and have OFA certificates before she breeds. Also, I'm pretty sure dogs have to be at least 2 years of age in order to complete necessary health testing. You said your female is almost 2 years which would lead me to believe you have not done any necessary health testing, correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have done test and I'm not breeding to improve the breed i only asked a simple question would the difference in size effect them to have pups at all? will my male dog never be a father and my female never be a mother

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
why do you guys care why I'm breeding? i want my dog to have puppys
Because you're on a dogforum, and we care about the welfare and overall happiness of your dogs, even though we don't know them. We, as a forum community, love dogs and are concerned about them no matter the situation, who they belong to or where they are.

YOU want your very young, unhealth tested, non showing toy breed dogs to mate. YOU want the bitch to carry around a litter of puppies in her tiny body and YOU ARE putting her life at risk by doing this.
I highly doubt your DOG wants any of this. SHE'S the one who will have to go through the stress and pain of mating, the stress and pain of carrying a littler and the stress and pain of birthing these puppies, not you.

What you're potentially doing by this is passing on health defects that you don't even know your dogs have because you haven't health tested them, you're adding more dogs to a world that certainly doesn't need any more and you're doing it irresponsibly no less.

Please reconsider what you're doing, for the dogs' sakes.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have done test and I'm not breeding to improve the breed i only asked a simple question would the difference in size effect them to have pups at all? will my male dog never be a father and my female never be a mother
You have or haven't? I'm strongly questioning if you've done anything to prove these dogs are worthy of breeding, if you are not doing it for a purpose, or to better the breed, etc you should not be doing it period..sorry, but breeding dogs just so they can be a mother and a father is NOT a good reason to breed! Please dont' take any offense, we aren't attacking you.. we are trying to EDUCATE you. Your dogs don't NEED to be a mother and a father, believe me they won't miss it one bit. Please do not put your dogs and potential puppies at risk.. have your dogs SPAYED AND NEUTERED.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It sounds like the diffence in size is pretty big,and I´m wondering if the female could be a medium German spitz? I´m wondering this,because many many people here have been tricked into thinking they´re buying a pom and they end up with a similar,although much bigger,dog.Poms are very similar in size,the difference is rarely so huge that mating is impossible

This is a medium spitz (weight ranging from 6 to 12 kilos):

A Pom (weight can range from 3 to 6 kilos):

Do you have a picture of both dogs?
I must admit that I also dont understand why you are going to jump head first into breeding without knowing anything about it at all.It´s one thing to want to breed understanding that you arent going to "better" the breed or to make money,but another wanting to do it without knowing anything about the breed or what breeding entails what so ever.

It´s not only about putting 2 dogs together and waiting for pups..things can go wrong.Do you have money put aside for a possible c-section? Would you know what to do if you had to quickly jump in and take care of a new born puppy if the mother doesnt? (cut the sac away,remove any amniotic fluid from the puppies lungs,massage the pup until it breathes etc etc).If the mother couldent/doesnt take care of the pups,would you be able to feed them around the clock? Stimulate their bowels etc?
It´s ALOT of responsability even in the best case scenario ;)
I´ve been thinking about breeding yorkies for years now,and although I´ve read and read on the subject and I´ve had the pleasure of meeting and talking to many many breeders,I dont think I´ll ever do it..If anything ever happened to my dogs,I´d never forgive myself.

Honestly,if you arent going to sell the puppies and your only reason for wanting to breed is because you have the male and the female so "why not?",then I wouldent do it.
Good luck whatever you chose to do

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If your not breeding to improve the breed or make a valuable contribution to the species then you shouldn't be doing it. Nuff said. I live in Australia and there are PLENTY of dog shows all over the place. They don't all get their titles from that one show. Take it from someone who is in the dog showing community here in Australia. I seriously could go on and on. But I think people's comments above have pretty much summed it up.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Your dogs don't care about being a "father" and "mother." They have absolutely NO emotional urge to be parents like humans do. You're projecting human feelings onto dogs. I hope you understand that you're putting your female at GRAVE risk of dying during whelping or developing a life threatening illness related to her maternity. What will you do if she needs an emergency c-section? What will you do if one of the pups gets stuck during delivery? What will you do if not all the pups are born? You're much too inexperienced to breed these animals. If you're truly interested in breeding it should be done after much discussion, education and with much involvement from an experienced mentor & then it should be done ONLY to improve the breed. Wanting puppies is NOT reason enough to expose your dog to this much risk.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm prepared for the potential bashing that comes with this statement...but it's the most direct way I can boil down my thoughts.

It sounds like the OP is attempting to fulfill her own emotional wants through the dogs...living vicariously. The dogs do not care one way or the other whether they are ever mothers or fathers. It's easier on the dogs NOT to be...at least if you consider the potential mountain of things that could go wrong and cost the lives of the puppies or the life/health of the female dog. Perhaps the size mismatch is nature telling you something...that these two are not a well matched set!

Please spay and neuter, which IS the loving, responsible thing to do for your dogs and society unless you have the education/time/background/facility/funds etc to be a responsible breeder. And nothing in your posts have given me an inkling that such a thing would be true.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wanting puppies is NOT reason enough to expose your dog to this much risk.
I agree.
Some people think it would be "adorable" for their pets to have puppies and keep one.They actually think that this way,any new puppy is "free" or that they´re somehow saving money by not having to go out and buy one.This isnt true.
You want a puppy? Buy a puppy.Spay and neuter your dogs.Dont put your dogs life at risk..dogs dont get the urge to settle down and have kids ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
TO ADD ON I DONT WANT PUPPYS FOR MONEY! i wouldn't want to sell them! i wouldn't risk any of my dogs life just for profit or what not.
I feel like I am wasting my time saying this but here it goes. Just by breeding you are putting your dogs life at risk. So many things can go wrong and if you can't even figure out how to get your two to mate I highly doubt you will know what to do if and when things go wrong.

You also sound immature saying I want my dogs to be a mommy and a daddy, really? I need to stop before I get myself banned.

As others have said PLEASE reconsider and don't breed them.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Weather you like it or not by breeding your dog you are risking her life. Pregnancy and birth are DANGEROUS. Well bred dogs with owners that are experienced with breeding/whelping have emergencies that require immediate, often expensive, medical attention. Even when medical attention is sought quickly females die, puppies die.

Pure bred does not mean a dog should be bred.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
To anyone that is thinking of breeding I suggest to them to do a you tube search of 'animal over population' or 'one nation under dog' & then see if you still feel thr same way about breeding.

Sorry but I will not offer any advice , I just don't believe in breeding gone about this way

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd like to tell a story. This is a true story, and still unfolding. Things may happen yet, that have not been foreseen. But this is a story that I feel ALL BREEDERS-TO-BE need to hear, and determine whether they can handle what *could* happen.

DH and I have been on a breeder's waiting list for several years. This breed is a Scottish Deerhound, not a common breed, thus one we are willing to wait for. It is also a giant breed, and a very natural breed. meaning a Deerhound bitch *should* be able to mate, carry, whelp, and care for her litter with little assistance from her human. Pomeranians are not a natural breed, and often need assistance. They are not always good at whelping naturally.

In this case, however, a near-tragedy occurred. This bitch is deeply loved by her breeder/owner, who showed her to her American Kennel Club championship, did proper health tests for the breed (including thyroid, heart, and various blood tests), not just seeing a vet to make sure she's healthy.

She went into labor last week. 35 hours later, and a couple oxytocin injections later, she's still in stage 1 labor. Off to the vet she goes. She was delivered C-section, and spayed at the same time. The cause of the lack of natural birth was a puppy blockage. She almost died because of this, and if her breeder/owner had not known what to do, she would have. VERY PAINFULLY!

As it was, one puppy was weak and malformed. He had to be euthanized. This was a very difficult, painful decision that the whole family discussed.

The next day, the bitch had to go back into surgery, because she was bleeding internally. Thankfully, the bleeding was stopped, but again, she almost died.

As of today, the puppies are 11 days old, and growing every day. Mom has been wonderful, and has been providing them with enough milk that the breeder does not need to supplement them. But as I said above, things can still go wrong, though we are all praying nothing will.

In addition to all the things others have said about breeding to improve the breed, doing proper health testing, etc, this is something you NEED to consider. Can you bear to lose your bitch if the worst should happen? Can you live with yourself if she dies painfully? Can you afford all this vet care, if something should go wrong (we are talking THOUSANDS of dollars!)? Are you prepared to raise a litter by yourself if the bitch should die? This means feeding every two hours (even throughout the night), cleaning them as their mother would do, etc. It's hard enough to raise a litter if the mother does all the work. Imagine having to do all her work, plus your own! Are you prepared to do all this?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If you're not planning on selling the puppies, what are you planning on doing with them? Do you have the money for 6-10 new dogs?

Look, when I was in high school, my boyfriend's sister bred her "purebred" boxer. (Not shown, no health testing, 1 year old dog bought from a pet store.) It was a huge mess. First of all, of the litter of 10, only 6 were born. The seventh pup got stuck in the birth canal, died and killed the three pups behind him. That was a huge vet bill to get that fixed. She sat on and smothered one of the puppies, so then there were 5.

I can remember, 20 years later, what that house smelled like with 5 puppies in it. There was poop everywhere. Puppies are not born house trained and mom only cleans them up for so long. Then there's the expense of worming, the expense of feeding, the expense of vaccinations. Fortunately, this momma dog did not eat her puppies (that happens a lot), so then the owner had to find homes for 4 puppies (she kept one). The last one she placed at 4 months (so four months of feeding, etc.) and then one of them was being kept outside 24/7 at a junkyard in the desert heat of El Paso, Texas and she had to pay $800 to get it back from the guy.

So then she had 3 boxers, all female. They fought any chance they got, and both puppies had epilepsy. (No health testing, you see.)

Don't do this to yourself. Spay the female at the very least to prevent pyometra and breast cancer and count yourself lucky that no mating occurred.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts