Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cujo was sick recently and our vet prescribed antibiotics accompanied with probiotics(Fortiflora). He is better now but I can't stop thinking that it might be beneficial to his health if I put him on probiotics full-time.

Do you feed your dog probiotics on a regular basis?
Are there any risks to feeding probiotics on a regular basis?
Did you go to the vet before placing your dog on probiotics of just do it yourself?
Is there a brand/type that is preferred over others?

Appreciate any thoughts/recommendations you can share on probiotics or other supplements.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I only add some probiotics during and just after a course of antibiotics to build back what the antibiotics tend to wipe out. I just use plain greek yogurt as its tasty, inexpensive and seems to work fine.

A healthy gut should maintain itself but if probiotics seem to help a dog, I see no issue with continuing to supplement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only add some probiotics during and just after a course of antibiotics to build back what the antibiotics tend to wipe out. I just use plain greek yogurt as its tasty, inexpensive and seems to work fine.

A healthy gut should maintain itself but if probiotics seem to help a dog, I see no issue with continuing to supplement.
Thanks for replying. Everyone I’ve spoken with has the given similar responses. While continuing the probiotic won’t hurt him, continuing it won’t provide any benefit once he’s better.
Again, appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Best. Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts