Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't changed Bennies food since last winter and she has been doing really well on it. Recently she's been more itchy and has more eye boogers than normal. I was thinking this could just be seasonal and to let it be and see if it resolves as the seasons change, but warned to see if anyone else had a different idea. Or something I could do to try to alleviate the allergies if they are seasonal!

·
Registered
693 Posts
What food are you feeding? Maybe they changed something in it. I understand about not really sure what the allergy could be. Our lab has seizures and so we switched her food and they have stopped ( thank goodness) but im afraid to switch to any other food because i dont know what she may have had a reaction to!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We feed Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet: Salmon and Potato. My quick google search doesn't lead me to believe there's a change? I'm thinking it's something more like a ragweed allergy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Seasonal allergies could definitely play role. Two things come to mind that you could possibly try: 1) Switch to a allergy specific veterinary formula for a few weeks and see if the symptoms go away; 2) If your dog is in good health, you can try some OTC diphenhydramine (benadryl) at 2-4 mg/kg, twice a day, and see if that clears the symptoms until allergy season is over.

Source: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/toxicology/toxicities_from_human_drugs/cold_and_cough_medications_toxicity.html

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I would try benadryl first. The dosage is 1mg per lb. You can give it up to every 8 hrs. If that doesn't give relief a vet visit would be the next step. Allergens are high this year. So i would not switch foods at this time because it takes 6-8 weeks for results. Plus trying one thing at a time would help pinpoint the issue. Let us know how your pup is.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I give a bath in case dog is just a bit too dusty and that is irritating the eyes, then I try antihistamine.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a feeling it's a seasonal allergy. I noticed her paw pads get a bit pink too. It just doesn't seem to be bothering her enough for me to justify mildly sedating her with Benadryl? She isn't very itchy and doesn't seem distressed so maybe I should just let it be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live in New England and my dogs always get a bit itchy at this time of year; it's been true of past dogs I've had too. I give Benadryl at night occasionally if they seem very itchy. BTW, I also feed Wellness simple (small breed). Since the itchies only seem to happen in Sept., I'm sure it's not the food.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Giving her benedryl before she becomes too itchy to help prevent her from licking herself raw. If you wait too long and she creates a sore spot it will take more medications to resolve it than it would to prevent it. Imo.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
At work we had a dog that came in who chewed her hind leg all the way to the bone in one day, she had other issues. Just wanted to point out how quickly things can happen.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
It's probably enviromental, Lincoln gets this way too, along with a lot of reverse sneezing fits, the poor dude :( So I give a small pill called loratidine (which is basically the "real" name for the medicine claritin) along with a liquid supplement I order from chewy.com called Aller G3 (just go to their site and search for it) and it has really helped him. He is about 34 lbs so he gets 1 1/2 pills a day, its great because it doesnt make them drowsy like benedryl does.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I've noticed a lot of people complaining about itchy dogs lately -- my dogs included (Kairi does for sure have seasonal allergies). My guess is most definitely the weather. Keep some antihistamines handy and keep an eye on her, because it really does only take a day for them to cause a big ol' sore from digging into an itchy spot. Kairi chewed her ankles and nub bald last year when I was at work. Claritin and Zyrtec (generic versions work too) work better in my experience than benedryl and I have yet to see drowsiness from any of them. Fish oil may help as well, but it takes awhile to really get into the system I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts