Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been getting a number of posts with private requests for donations to offset medical costs or other owner expenses. These posts will be deleted and, if re-posted, the user will be banned.

It doesn't matter if you are posting on your own behalf or on that of someone else. There is absolutely no way that we can authenticate these posts and there is a risk of fraud because of that. We are not assuming that these posts are fraudulent, but we cannot assume that they are not.

Dog owners tend to be generous individuals. I would urge you to channel that generosity toward your local shelter or other recognized agency.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yeah. It is tricky to tell if people are for real or scammers sometimes. I am a member of my local freecycle group and we get alot of people saying their houses burn down or this that and the other thing and we are suppose do give stuff away free when we have it but sometimes people really ask for a lot. Sometimes if I knew there stories were true I would want to just go buy them something brand new but you just can not really tell:confused:

·
Banned
166 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate that you will be deleting them. Even if they are true stories, I think that is pretty presumptuous of them to expect me to pay for THIER expenses when I don't even know them. That's just tacky. I am sorry they are having a hard time meeting the bills. So am I. I am not asking for donations of total strangers and expecting them to give me money for no reason. The audacity of people simply floors me. That's my take on this subject.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is very difficult to ascertain whether this type of post is a scam or if it is genuine and feel you are wise to delete same and ban the user if they continue . I am not being unsympathetic to these poor dogs, but if it was me I would not come on a forum to ask for money, We all need money and hard as it is if you have a dog you are responsible for it and for its health and you should make sure before taking on the responsibility that you can afford to pay for this either by taking out insurance, or putting money away to cover such an eventuality. I am not well off by any means but I have forgone a lot of things to enable me to insure my dogs for my own peace of mind. Insurance is one of these things which you take out and pay for and hope you will never need. Just my view on this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Question: Does this apply if it's for a legitimate rescue group?

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posts on the rescue forum must meet the requirements listed with that forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.