Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our new home we finally found a mouse. No surprise, its an old house and was vacant for a couple of months. There was a family effort to catch it, the cats, Caeda, my DH and I.
Who got it first? Caeda! There she stood with just a tail hanging out of her mouth.
My biggest moment of pride in her and in my training. She caught it, I said "give" and she DROPPED IT IN MY HAND, ALIVE!!!!
Seriously! I think I must have done something right! She went from full drive excitement to dropping a live rodent unharmed in my hand.
I'm such a proud dog mom right now! And this is after a stellar off leash walk with her tonight. Oh, I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Very impressive! All your hard work has paid off...and it sounds like the dog is making herself useful to boot. Excellent!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Props to Caeda! But I'm really curious about what happened once you had a live rodent in your hand?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congratulations on your training! You have an excellent ratter there! :D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Props to Caeda! But I'm really curious about what happened once you had a live rodent in your hand?
Heh, well....
I had this poor slobber covered terrified mouse in my hand, I was sitting on the floor in my night shirt. The mouse took a second to get his bearings then hopped off my hand to the floor and skittered straight up my night shirt!!!

So, there I am with a mouse basically crawling around the back of my upper thigh, so I grabbed him through the shirt and held him all the while yelling to my DH "Get the bucket get the bucket! A container, something PLEASE!"

The bucket was brought and I unceremoniously leaned myself back over it and dropped the poor guy into the bucket. We then took the bucket outside and let him go.

Feel free to laugh...I am, heck, I was laughing then! Not scared of mice at all thankfully, but not a fan of having them crawl up my bare leg!

I highly suspect he made it into the house when we'd had the basement door open while doing some cleaning in there. Going to have to watch for that! Maybe teach Caeda that for a mouse "put it away" means take it outside to the grass lol.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This story has just made my day. Congrats to CAeda and to you on your good training skillz! If I'm half as lucky Hobbes will one day be able to give up something he chased down. Luckily he's not that fast so the critters don't have much to fear. :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Good dog, Caeda. You deserve to brag. That was really awesome. I doubt many dogs would have followed through. That was one funny story, though. Glad you can laugh about it without freaking. Thank goodness that silly mouse didn't bite you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts