Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm going to be switching Elka, my husky mix, to a prey model raw diet. Back when I lived in Australia this is what was recommended by my vet for my elkhound and he did awesome on it, though it didn't have a "term" for it. =)

I came to the U.S. and the vets all freaked out about raw, so I switched. Well, now I have Elka and I want to go back to the raw diet. Elka is currently on Grain-Free Canidae ALS but she's nearing the end of what will be her final bag.

I've read different opinions on if I should just "cold turkey" her on to the raw, or mix it up with her kibble. I guess I'm after more opinions, or better yet, experiences.

Looking forward to hearing others experience with this switch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I adopted my husky, I went cold turkey for him. He was outside for the week, it was cold. I left him outside because he had a lot of fleas. I guess slow would be the best, fast might cause problems for the dog.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Cold turkey with a 12 hour fast from the last kibble meal before starting raw. Kibble and raw digest differently so it causes more problems for most dogs if you serve the two foods together.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not sure what outside/inside has to do with this, other than easy bath-rooming? Elka has a dog door so I'm not too worried about how this might change her schedule. But i certainly don't want to cause any stomach upset and she's never gotten any raw food, so this will be totally new to her. =)

Thank you for the input!

Cold turkey with a 12 hour fast from the last kibble meal before starting raw. Kibble and raw digest differently so it causes more problems for most dogs if you serve the two foods together.
Thanks briteday! This is the way I'm leaning, just want to make absolutely sure I do it however is best. =)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I switched Max very slowly over a period of MONTHS from home cooked food. Was fine but not necessary! Next dog is going cold turkey the day it walks into the house. Raw chicken, probably breast quarter with most of the skin off. I will feed through several chickens and leave skin on after the first day or so.

I know how I am going to feed the dog but no idea what or when she/he will be here.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why skin-off on the first day? Is that harder to digest?

Thank you all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts