Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD mix, Lucy, has taken to grabbing my mini Brussels Griffin, Pippa, by the neck and shaking her. It's hard to get her to let go. This started back in the summer when there was a rat on the back porch. They had great fun trying to find it. Something startled Pippa and she ran out from under a chair. I guess Lucy thought Pippa was what they were hunting because she grabbed Pippa and shook her. He has done this several times since then, resulting in vet visits for Pippa. I think Lucy needs to be rehomed but my daughter doesn't want her to go. (My vet agrees.) Can this prey drive be trained out of a dog? I don't want Lucy to go, but this absolutely cannot continue. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I'm sorry that you're dealing with this!

Training can help. But even so, I would NEVER trust Lucy alone with Pippa or any small dog. No training will guarantee the behavior will go away.

I don't think rehoming is a bad suggestion. You can make it work.. But it will require a ton of management. For example, I would recommend having at least one degree of physical separation between the two dogs at all times. This means Lucy/Pippa is in an exercise pen, behind a gate, in a different room, in a crate, etc. I would recommend muzzle training Lucy and having Lucy wear it any time she and Pippa share time together, such as on a hike or a walk. I would recommend more training for Lucy, specifically impulse control training, so that you can stop or redirect her more easily. But training is the LAST thing on the list (with the exception of muzzle training). The only thing that can give you the best chance is management. Best of luck, regardless what decisions you make!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts