Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 8 month old husky/lab mix he is well behaved most of time he knows his basics walks fine. i was just wondering what i should do when i call him and he doesnt come? he knows what come is. he comes when i call him but when he doesnt what should i do? i usealy go up to him and use his collar to bring him. when i have a hold of his collar he walks calmly. he somtime also tries to back up when i wal towards him to get a hold of his collar. so mainn question is how should i react when he doesnt come? he does show sign of submisiveness

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
It sounds like you're not repeating his name, you're walking up to him calmly, and you're not punishing him. All good. If you want to encourage him to follow try running away from him, maybe act like a clown, so he'll want to play your game. Praise him immensely for joining you.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I would also practice alot with a leash on him...give your "come" command, and reel him in if he doesn't do it. I praise mine like it's the best thing ever every time they come, even though they are two years old and their recall is solid.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Instead of a lead you can use a 15 to 20 ft thin nylon cord with dog snap and never call dog (unless you are within reach of the dragging cord) Then when you call you can grab end of cord. Now you are in control, you can use recall command, squeal like a pig (so dog thinks there is really something exciting happening by you) If dog does start coming, running backwards away from dog can even enhance the come and a real treat when he gets to you and I like a sit also when he gets to you. Not a military perfect sit, just a butt hits ground sit. No jerking on lead as it's main job is to make sure dog does not run from you and to let dog know if you do say come you have some kind of control. When teaching come I like a 100% positive approach as I can beat up a dog and make it come, but I like a fast come and dogs will come faster if there is a juicy reward. Later on in dog's life if needed negativity (consequences) can be used to enforce come. That's another chapter though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was told to establish the behavior first, then name it. So when I want to teach my dog to come when called, I first create the recall, then name the behavior when he's doing it. I use clicker training, with a tasty food morsel as a reward.

A typical situation would be to call my dog's name... so I yell "Gus!" and if he acknowledges me, I yell "good boy!" in a happy party voice. If I still have his attention, I might make a quick movement or do something that looks like play, and when he's coming to me I yell "Gus, come!" and if he still is moving toward me I click and treat him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts