Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find an alternative for prescription c/d. Ashia had a UTI last year and then traces of struvite cyrstals so she was put on the diet. I'm wondering what food is comparable and then can also add a multivitamin and cranberry pill. Any suggestions?
Thank you so much!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dog was prescribed the s/d and wouldn't eat it so we went back to the vet and had a long discussion on alternatives for his struvite crystals. The end result is that he is back on his high quality kibble, supplemented with some moist raw food. He will be taking Methio-Form to acidify his urine and I noticed that cats can take it also. You might want to discuss this with your vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got off the phone with two different veterinarians and both say there is no alternative and that Ashia needs to stay on prescription c/d. If I go to a high quality pet food the struvite crystals can come back. I firmly believe that there is something else I can feed her and give supplements as well. Can anyone recommend?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kimlai, did you ask your vet about Methio-Form? The generic name for it is L Methionine - it's an amino acid that aids in acidifying the urine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not that he's a dog or anything but my cat has feline lower urinary tract disorder and Royal Canin Urinary SO has really helped him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts