Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've decided to neuter our boy next week. Can you all share what I should be doing to prepare both my boy and our home?
Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
He will come home the same day and be probably quiet the rest of the day....next day he should be much better, and on the third day, you will never know anything was done! The day of surgery, I kept my boy in his crate to rest, and let out just to potty. Other than that, he might be quesy from the anethestic, but mine weren't.

My daughter is a vet tech, and she says that they neutering only takes maybe 15 minutes, and is the easiest surgery there is.
He will be fine....

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have had three neuterd. They all did fine.

Eddee was just neutered a week ago. First day he was sleepy from the anesthesia ... still ate like a champ ... next two days the pain meds kept him a little groggy. The fourth day up until now I have not been able to keep him quiet! They are supposed to stay calm and not run and jump or climb a lot of stairs for two weeks ...

But that flew out the window with Eddee. He has done well and has not gotten any infection or swelling or ripped any stitches out amazingly! :/

It seems tougher for the girls being spay in my experience.

Good luck with your guy! :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,guys. Did anyone have an issue with the dog trying to bite his stitches? How did you handle that? Do you keep the area covered? Do you have to put anything on it? My vet says he gives pain meds so they don't bite at themselves. He says as long as they can't feel it, they won't try to bite at it. Makes sense..
I doubt I'll be able to keep this boy quiet for very long. He follows us everywhere and is always ready to play. Are there any restrictions on walking? We have tons of dogs in our neighborhood and I'm worried about his trying to play with them. I'll probably try to keep him out back and away from all dogs for those two weeks.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks,guys. Did anyone have an issue with the dog trying to bite his stitches? How did you handle that? Do you keep the area covered? Do you have to put anything on it? My vet says he gives pain meds so they don't bite at themselves. He says as long as they can't feel it, they won't try to bite at it. Makes sense..
I doubt I'll be able to keep this boy quiet for very long. He follows us everywhere and is always ready to play. Are there any restrictions on walking? We have tons of dogs in our neighborhood and I'm worried about his trying to play with them. I'll probably try to keep him out back and away from all dogs for those two weeks.
I purchased a cone just in case it was needed. Eddee has never licked his stitches ... not once ... but every dog is different. I did not walk Eddee until today ... tonight will be his first real walk. I kept him crated for 60% of the day for the first three days. I just tried to keep him as quiet as possible for the first week and like I say ... I could not keep him still! If the vet had seen him jumping on the furniture he would have had a fit! I just am lucky. Eddee is a live wire!

Personally ... ask your vet ... but I prefer to keep him home until I feel the wound is fairly closed to avoid injury and infection. You need to keep it clean but do not wipe it with anything ... let it be ... and keep it dry. No bathing or getting it wet for two weeks were my instructions.

You can put cortisone cream only on the area where the hair is shaved when it starts to come back in a couple days to keep him from wanting to lick from it itching. Do not put anything on the scrotum if they leave it. They left the scrotum .... not like my other two Boys were done. My other two had theirs removed and it was just a flat area with stitches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My puppy, Odin, was neutered on Thursday. I purchased a cone and he went home with it on but refused to go to the bathroom until I took it off. He was groggy the first day and cried some (I should have purchased the extra pain med). The second day he was much more active (I gave up on trying to stop him) and today he is acting like nothing happened. He hasn't used the cone since the first day and really hasn't licked the stitches. When he tried I gave him a bone or toy and he forgot about it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
We didn't cone Kodi (who was neutered a little over a week ago). Our vet said that the stitches are only there for the owners benefit because they don't want to see the opening and our vet doesn't even have any cones for dogs because of that. Our vet automatically gives each neutered dog a shot of antibiotic and said it was okay if Kodi ripped his stitches out. Yes, Kodi ripped out a chunk of his stitches, but he hasn't had any harmful side affects of that, his incision looks good now and he isn't even very sore unless he goes for a long stretch.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Cortisone cream to put on the shaved area (but not on the incision) can help with the prickly feeling that makes them want to lick/chew.
Try to keep him from running/jumping for about 10 days.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
We didn't cone Kodi (who was neutered a little over a week ago). Our vet said that the stitches are only there for the owners benefit because they don't want to see the opening and our vet doesn't even have any cones for dogs because of that. Our vet automatically gives each neutered dog a shot of antibiotic and said it was okay if Kodi ripped his stitches out. Yes, Kodi ripped out a chunk of his stitches, but he hasn't had any harmful side affects of that, his incision looks good now and he isn't even very sore unless he goes for a long stretch.
Phew! My boys never had stitches or else ripped them out before I saw them (both times I had them done while at the vet's for boarding), and the vets (they were done by 2 different vets) never said to restrict their activity or keep them from licking at the incision. So I didn't :p. They were fine but I was worried that maybe I did it wrong or something. I always suspected the restrictions and stitches were done just to make the owners feel better, but I never did ask the vet about it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Interesting with no functional external stitches... I imagine that everything was inside.
1. If needed the Vet gives you 3 days of pain meds. Most dogs don't need it.
2. Most dogs will sniff the area, some will lick it, others will chew. I told my dog not to lick, and he stopped (without training !)
3. If chewing is a potential issue, many Vet will lend you an Elizabethan collar.
4. A little walking is usually not bad, but most dogs are ready to bounce off the walls fairly quickly.
5. Most Vets have a handout or pamphlet with all instructions....

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Interesting with no functional external stitches... I imagine that everything was inside.
If you're referring to my post. . .nope! The incision was wide open! Yucky to look at (like KodiBarracuda said) but they healed up just fine. Livestock and horses are gelded right out there in the field and are let go with no precautions/restrictions. I don't think dogs are so much more delicate. It's not like anything is going to fall out of the incision :p.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I got my puppy from the SPCA the day after he was neutered. They said not to bathe him for a week, but that was it. He never messed with the incision or had any issues. I doubt he even know what happened.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
>>> The incision was wide open!

Not arguing, but simply astounded, that something like that would heal easily with no significant worry of infection. When there are sutures, we were always cautioned to keep the site clean and dry.

Guess I'm just a naive city boy :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
>>> The incision was wide open!

Not arguing, but simply astounded, that something like that would heal easily with no significant worry of infection. When there are sutures, we were always cautioned to keep the site clean and dry.

Guess I'm just a naive city boy :)
I don't know about your vets but my vet gives a antibiotic during any spay/neuter, sutures or not to prevent just that, an infection.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't know about your vets but my vet gives a antibiotic during any spay/neuter, sutures or not to prevent just that, an infection.
That, and, sometimes an infection-prone wound is kept open, not sutured, because if it gets mildly infected the pus can drain out and the body will heal itself. If it's closed, the pus stays inside and goes septic and becomes much worse.

My vet does hand out papers with surgeries saying what to do. For neuters it says "no swimming for 2 weeks". Since the sheet is the same for cats and dogs, and I have a lot of cats neutered, I always get a laugh about the cats not being able to go swimming for 2 weeks. . .:p.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts