Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so on Monday I put in an application for a rescue dog. He is a six year old papillon. I should hear early next week if I am approved and can go meet/adopt him. Anyway I need some help getting my house ready and knowing what I need on hand.
I have a small bag of dog food, I bought the kind the rescue uses (I figured I can change later slowly to something better). I have 2 crates (petmate style) one with a dog bed in it.
I have a lot (and variety) of dog toys, squeaky, ball, nylabone. And a few dog treats including a kong with stuffies and something similar to a kong also with stuffies.
I have a collar and 3 leashes (one nylon like the collar, one chain that I had from fostering 10 years ago, and one retractable).
I have one of those bone shaped holders of baggies for poop collection.
I also have a placemat and a food and water dish.

I need a brush (see my thread in grooming).
I also would like to get something like this for the dogs "place" or room so to speak:
I guess I can't link it but it kind of looks like an expen but it is plastic.
Anything else I need?
Thanks!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Just a note but don't ever use a choke chain collar on a toy breed dog. They are very very prone to collapsing tracheas. Flat buckle or a harness only. Harness if he pulls, you really don't want excessive pressure on the neck of a toy dog.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Congrats ahead of time on your rescue! I agree with the no choke collar rule for small dogs. My poodle chokes if I accidentally stroke his throat too hard! Fortunately, he doesn't pull at all on walks, so he wears a regular nylon collar and leash. I HATE retractable leashes. The dog learns to pull using them, IMO, and you don't have your dog close to you should another dog/person approach. I use just a regular 4 or 6 foot leash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts