Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we've all heard the people trying to sell premium brands saying that the dog will eat less of it, and I'm just wondering if that is actually the case, will the decrease in quantity outweigh the increase in cost?

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
When there are less fillers, the food is more efficient and less of it ends up getting pooped out.

It is unlikely that the increased efficiency will offset the added cost of a better food, but it is very possible that the dog will be healthier with fewer vet visits and may live longer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We went from ProPlan to Nutro to Merrick BG trying to find something Ranger did well on. He always had very soft stools. We asked our vet and she suggested the Merrick BG. Since then he has had normal stools. So we try to watch the amount of grains he intakes.

It is true that he is eating less and actually will leave food in his bowl now. Something he never would have done before. That being said I still feel that we are paying more than we were before. However I feel that in this cost benefit analysis there is more to the equation than money.

Sometimes the best food for your dog isn't even the most expensive. My friend spent hundreds of dollars on vet bills to find that a certain inexpensive grocery store food solved the digestion problem.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It depends.

The 'reocmmended daily amount' is about the same on the back of most bags of food. Mal needs about 4 cups per day of Wellness, Innova, Fromm's, or Diamond Naturals. However, the only one he DOESN'T loose weight on is Diamond Naturals- probably because he finishes it every single day.

It depends.

The 'reocmmended daily amount' is about the same on the back of most bags of food. Mal needs about 4 cups per day of Wellness, Innova, Fromm's, or Diamond Naturals. However, the only one he DOESN'T loose weight on is Diamond Naturals- probably because he finishes it every single day.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
not necessarily...my dogs went from Purina One to Canidae and ate 2x the amount (each)....they went from 1 1/2-2 c of P.O. to 3-4 c of Canidae (and they still had a hard time maintaining their weight....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Mine used to eat Purina one, and one of them would never gain weight. Now I feed Taste of the Wild, and have had to cut back as she was getting fat. (No more itchy skin for her, either!!!)

·
Registered
296 Posts
you can determine this for yourself by calculating the cost per feeding.
On average there are 4 cups of dry food to a pound, give or take. Look at how much your are feeding now, if it's 2 cups a day and it's a 30# bag, it should last your 60 days. If the new food says to feed 1.5cups a day and is a 25# bag then it should last you 66 days.

Take the weight of the bag and multiply it by 4 which gives you the number of cups per bag. then divide that number by the feeding amount. That will give you how many days the bag will last you. Then take the price you pay and divide it by the number of days the bag will last and you'll have your cost per feeding.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
When we went from Flint River Ranch to Innova Evo we decreased their food by about 1/3 and they still gained weight. I haven't multiplied it out, but I think it comes out about a wash in price.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Oh H&H, I know what I'm going to be doing for the next...8 or so hours...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, I switch my dog from Nutro Lamb and rice to Innova Evo and she eats the same amount (1.5 cups a day). What i did notice is better energy and less shedding.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I did some math tonight, yes, it's fun and exciting at my house, don't be jealous....these are the foods I did and the price per day I came up with. I started the calculations for all four of my dogs but it got confusing, so what I'm posting is based on my almost 40 lb border collie and going strictly off feeding instructions on the product websites.

Dog Chow .22 per day
Purina One .40
Eagle Pack .49
TOTW .69
EVO .86
Natural Balance .88
Wellness .78
Core 1.00
Chicken Soup .65
Diamond Naturals .56

Soooo....I have to say the feeding guidelines were similar with most of these foods...most had me feed 2 cups, including Purina One and Dog Chow. Only Eagle Pack and Evo had me feeding less than that, Chicken Soup had me feeding 2.5 cups, and Natural Balance had me feeding a whopping 3 cups.

Overall it doesn't look like premium foods would save me any money in the long run, but some were closer than I thought...Eagle Pack is a darn good deal. Also, EVO was the most expensive per bag but not the most per feeding, and Natural Balance, despite being mid priced, ended up with a very high per feeding cost.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I don't think I actually save any money by feeding TOTW.....I do feed less but I think its kinda a wash....but I have really seen a huge improvement in my dogs since switching over.....skin is less flaky and itchy, less dog smell, coats shinny....great energy and weight:D

The most noticeable changes I have seen was when I had my foster pug....he came to me eating the worst food IMO..full of fillers and food coloring. He had many problems...greasy coat, stinky face, horrible tear stains and technicolor poo :eek:...after just one month of switching him over almost all of his problems were 10x better if not gone all together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts