Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 months old female Peagle (pekingnese x beagle) her playmate is a Male Puggle he is 4 months old. Today he tried to mount her I stopped him but I was wondering before we get her fixed should I not let them play until then?? And also is he even capable of reproducing?? I don't believe in backyard breeding especially with my own pup. Anyways any feedback would be nice, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Puppies quite often mount each other in play. Since she is not in season, he could not breed her even if he wanted to and at 4 months he is not old enough. I would keep an eye on her though as she could come into season at any time. I would not get mad at him but distract him with a toy if he is persistent. It is good for her to have someone to play with. When were you planning on getting her spayed? Unless you are planning on letting her go through a season, I would get it done right away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has already started and finished, it happen a month or two ago but we had to wait for her baby teeth to fall out before spaying her or they were going to charge us more for the teeth extraction. Now the last baby tooth is out so we're ready lol

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Altho I agree with the facts that a 4 mos puppy won't sire pups, he may be driven by the smell. I suggest that you 'err' on the side of caution, b/c you wouldn't want to learn that a tiny percentage of 4 mos pups can sire puppies... and that your pup falls in that small percentage :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I just think it needs to be noted that there is no such thing as "Premature Mounting" even 8 week old puppies will hump each other.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that but I figured it is a little premature for a 4 month old puppy to be able to sire any female but I also agree that we need to keep an eye on her with the pup, we do with every playmate she has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts