Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 year old German Shepherd with achy joints. A few weeks ago I was making a bed with a heated blanket that was on. She sat down directly on it and gave me a look that was just so perfectly translatable - "I want one of these".

So far we've gotten a few old comforters for her to lay on, and she stays on 'em all night. I'm looking at getting her set up on a heated dog bed. The only thing stopping me from grabbing a heated fleece blanket or one of our heating pads is concern over safety features. Are the premade heated dog beds safer than a DIY solution or is it the same difference either way?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My guess is that the premade ones are safer, though it probably isn't too dangerous to let a dog lay on an electric blanket, as long as you're checking to make sure he isn't getting burns or anything. I know dogs can get really nasty burns from heating pads, but I don't think electric blankets get that hot. Mine doesn't, anyway.

This one looks super nice and it's orthopedic, no less! (I've never dealt with that company, i just did a quick google search.)

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I have not had much luck with any of the heated dog beds I have bought. They usually have a one year guarantee on them and that is about the length of time they work. That orthopedic one looks nice and maybe you would have better luck with it than I have with the ones I got.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm not sure why a pre-made bed would be safer, if you are a competent DIYer, and think of the things that the pe-made builders might. The only real 'danger' that I see is the dog chewing on the electric blanket. And, at 11, she's should be fairly predictable, and you already know if she chews things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts