Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 15 month old Wheaton Terrier. I often work late nights, well past when my wife goes to bed. It was never a problem before, but as of 3 months ago our Wheaton began to constantly bark through the night after my wife heads to bed and before I get home. My wife is 7 months pregnant, so we are unsure if he realizes she is pregnant and is therefore over protective in my absence, or if he has Separation Anxiety when I am away. As soon as I get home, he is excited to see me but quickly goes about his own business and then goes to bed without a peep the rest of the night.

He has some of the SA traits, but I am led to believe that they are more attributed to the personality traits specific to the breed. He is well socialized and spends most of the day in daycare with other dogs. He likes to be around us, but is more than happy to leave the room to have some personal time. He also doesn't have an affinity to our 'scented items' and to our knowledge is relatively docile when we are not around.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before, or have any suggestions to help rectify the situation. We are worried that he will continue this habit once the baby is born.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Where does the dog hang out when your wife goes to bed? (Congrats on the preg. by the way!).

He certainly may be being protective and if he has visual access to your yard or something that may trigger him this may be the source of the problem. Any strays around? Wildlife? Noisy neighbours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. We live in an apartment in a downtown area, so there tends to be a lot of random noises, but they don't seem to affect him on a normal basis. At night he tends to focus his barking towards the bedroom door and not out the windows. It actually occurs when he is both on the bed and on the floor.

Many thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts