Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there. I recently required a 3yo chihuahua , from someone that was going to have her put down. (Story behind that - Original owner died , person who aquired them did not want them) At the time I was not aware she was part of a breeding pair , and was not told she could possibly be pregnant . Turns out she is very much pregnant , and after talking with the people I got her from , she was tagged on the 12th of March and then again on the 15th . So she's pretty close now. We have had vet visits , but my vet is closed atm , and I just have a few questions. She is very inactive , usually super perky and a typical chihuahua , but now she's very mellow , and wants to be right up in my face pretty much. I've been keeping track of her temperature , because the vet told me to , and today she's been below 100 since around 4pm , she was at 98.8 , went back up to 100.3 two hours later , and now she's at 98.3 . Her box is ready with newspaper etc. It was pre-shredded , so all she's done is root around in it , and not want to leave. It's been hard to get her to even go outside to go potty today . She's leaking milk and all that , but so far nothing major , I'm just curious as to what's going on is all. I don't know pregnant dog's to well. I just know cats. So this is pretty new to me. Any advice would be appreciated !

http://i40.tinypic.com/33cnkty.jpg

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
If she was first bred on the 12th of March, she should not be due till around the 14th of May but they could have the dates wrong. With her temperature dropped it sounds like she is close to having the pups. If it weren't for the drop in temperature, she could possibly just be very uncomfortable. Has she been x-rayed to make sure her pups are not too large? Was she bred to another Chihuahua?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes , it was another chihuahua , the same one she was bred to the first 2 times. She had 6 puppies the first time and 5 the second , all of them were in good health. Yes she's been x-ray'ed and everything seems normal . My vet says they think she was tagged before that date too , because they would put her and the male out in the yard together for a couple hours at a time without supervision .Right now she's in her box , making weird grunting noises , and rolling about alot , but I dont "see" any contractions , nor do I feel them , atleast I dont feel what the vet discribed to me. She just seems really uncomfortable atm , and I checked her temp again a half hour ago , and she was at 98.1

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cm4wg.jpg

Tiny update , she seems to have calmed down now , not as uncomfortable as she was. Still keeps resituating but not making any noises now.

- When I got her she was also severely underweight , her back bone was showing , hips , and you could count all her ribs. But she's been putting weight on fairly quickly . She eats good etc . My vet said it may not look like she's as far along as she could be , because of the fact that she was so underweight before hand .

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, I know nothing about pregnancy in animals, so what you choose to do with my thoughts is totally your decision.....
BUT
If I were in your position, I think I would really leave her be. Monitor her, watch for signs of labour, but if she's not eager to leave her bed even for a potty break, don't force her. I'd be willing to bet she's probably super uncomfortable, those last few weeks/days are killer, lol.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Aw, the poor little girl, three years old and three litters already! I'm glad you have a vet giving you good advice, and I hope all goes well with the whelping. Will you be spaying the mother after this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I am going to have her spayed . Granted I only have one other dog , and she's a 5month husky , so no males around but I don't want to risk anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts