Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 2 year old min-pin/chihuahua mix. He was originally mine, but when I had to move back home, he and my dad adopted each other. When I first got him, he seemed to have some separation anxiety, and I later discovered that he had undeniably been abused with a broom.

Even as a small puppy, he would not poop unless someone was literally standing RIGHT over him, and he preferred to poop underneath heavy furniture, and on the carpet. Probably because of the abuse.

He eventually gained a lot of confidence, and started pooping outside just fine by himself in the fenced back yard. I had to move again, and I could not take him with me. I have since moved back again, but while I was away, he stopped pooping outside. Now, he only poops on carpet, and he only poops in the upper levels of the house. He will not poop anywhere in the lower levels of the house.

We have a 2-level home with 5 rooms and guest bath upstairs, and 4 community rooms downstairs.

He spends most of his time downstairs on the couch in the front sitting room where no one ever really goes. The downstairs is mostly tile, and there are rugs down there, but he will climb the stairs just to poop.

He has 3 set spots, and each of them has a set point A to drop zone.

If he is downstairs alone, he'll go to the upstairs bathroom rug. This particular route is the furthest for him to travel, and makes the least sense. The downstairs bathroom is identical, other then lacking the shower/tub, and a small window. Cramped, exact same tile, and exact same plush rug. The rugs get cleaned once a week, and there is no way to know which came from which bathroom. Maybe he likes the pink walls better?

If we're all right there on the couch with him, he'll go use the upstairs hallway, which is bare of anything including wall art, really wide and open. He prefers to go midway down the hall past the bedrooms; the bathroom is at the end.

Sometimes, my mom lets him come to the bed with her. We're both day sleepers and unable to keep an eye on him, so we usually confine him to the downstairs. When he's with mom, he will literally hop off the bed, and poop right where he lands, and jump straight back up to curl up with her. The family cat also almost never leaves that room, and also shares the bed with mom during the day.

The reason I am being so detailed is because there doesn't seem to be any logical reasons for his choice potty spots. It can't be convenience, he has to walk through the hallway to access the bathroom. He's not choosing a spot where he won't be caught, he rolls over and waits to be scolded when mom wakes up to find his load next to her bed.

The only other thing I can think of is even though he favors my Dad, there is no doubt that I am "Mommy", and he dies for me to pet him when I come home at night. I use that upstairs bathroom more than anyone else, and it's one of the first places I go when I get home, and when I wake up. I always go pet the cat at least once a day, even if mom is sleeping. Also the dog is not neutered. Is it possible he sees me as a mate in some way? Could this be about getting my attention specifically?

Edit: Completely forgot to mention, my parents are NOT working with me at all on this issue. My dad leaves him out in the morning when he goes out to work, while my mother and I are asleep. I've asked him repeatedly to NOT let him roam free. It's my parents and their old school learning who encourage and issue the scolding. The dog is not legally mine anymore. They pay for his feeding and care, so they aren't allowing me any say-so in how they handle this.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Firsty, stop scolding him. It will not teach him anything, just that he should hide from you. Which could explain why sometimes he goes wherever and sometimes he hides in random places.

Don't allow him to roam the house. It's that simple. He can't be trusted loose in the house. Shut doors, put up baby gates. When he cannot be watched, (or won't be watched, whatever the case may be) crate him. Ignore him for going inside, clean his spots with an enzyme cleaner to destroy the scent and take him out on a schedule and praise him for going out there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See my edit at the very bottom of the OP, thanks :) I'm quite literally only ever home to sleep, which is huge factor in why they adopted him from me. I went from housewife, to single with 2 jobs trying to make ends meet. I tried to find him a good home, but my parents insisted on keeping him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took him out today, and walked with him to the spot he used to use in the backyard, and got him to go. It was storming, and he's terrified of storms. The rain hadn't started falling yet. I did have to call him back to me from the door twice, but once he realized what I wanted, he did it just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dogs do not like to eliminate in their den. The furthest away room from where your dog views his den is where he will eliminate so be doesn't have to see or smell it. Rooms that you don't hang out in is where he views is outside the den. Scolding dogs only makes them try and hide from you when they need to eliminate, they do not understand why they are being yelled at and what is making you mad. Timing is important, you must praise the dog in the act. Give treats when they go outside, but again timing is important, you must let them eliminate and the second they are almost done praise them and give them a treat. If you praise them afterwards they won't make the connection. Your parents are contributing to him eliminating inside by scolding him, he has no idea why they are yelling at him and only makes him go potty when they aren't watching but in his eyes he IS going potty where he's supposed to. When your mom is sleeping all day he is viewing her as weak or sick and he wants to stay close to "the den" because dogs instincts are to not leave weak/sick pack members unattended and vulnerable. Dogs do not think the way humans do and can't read our minds. If you make certain behaviors rewarded and a positive experience they will make the connection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,I got this resolved long ago. He was suffering from a form of separation anxiety. I was going through some psychological issues, and could no longer properly care for him, but he couldn't understand that. I had stopped spending time with him and gave full care over to my parents, and when I started making time for him again, he stopped doing this completely. IDK if dogs really do things like this for attention, but it seems to have been the case here. He's doing very well now and a is a very happy well-behaved little guy. He is loved and pampered by everyone who meets him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts