Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new here and just wanted to see if anyone has any insight on this. My dog has a food allergy that we have been trying to take care of by trying out new foods for the past months. She also has been shaking her head alot because of the allergies her ears bother her. Well she ended up popping a blood vessel in her ear and had to get it drained, the doctor sent her home with prednisone to take once a day for 5 days and then one every other day after that. I am always paranoid about giving my dogs medicines because of all the side effects. She finished her 5 days and I was thinking about if instead of taking a pill now every other day, if I can just give her one whenever she needs one. (whenever she is having a really bad day with her ears). I do plan on asking the vet Monday when they are open, but was just wondering if anyone here had any insight on this. Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hi everyone. I am new here and just wanted to see if anyone has any insight on this. My dog has a food allergy that we have been trying to take care of by trying out new foods for the past months. She also has been shaking her head alot because of the allergies her ears bother her. Well she ended up popping a blood vessel in her ear and had to get it drained, the doctor sent her home with prednisone to take once a day for 5 days and then one every other day after that. I am always paranoid about giving my dogs medicines because of all the side effects. She finished her 5 days and I was thinking about if instead of taking a pill now every other day, if I can just give her one whenever she needs one. (whenever she is having a really bad day with her ears). I do plan on asking the vet Monday when they are open, but was just wondering if anyone here had any insight on this. Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
No, if she is on on prednesone, you need to wean her off of it per the vet's instruction.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have a dog taking prednisone right now. This week is the step-down process with it. You MUST step down as the vet says. Prednisone can cause harm if not taken properly. I take it myself when I have flare-ups with COPD. The doctor explained that it can do internal damage and cause other issues when not taken properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts