Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet thinks my dog has discoid lupus. We've done the biopsy after months of battling with medications and let's wait and see. The pathology results most resemble lupus but are not 100% definitive, how ever, the results don't match anything else. Apparently the pathologist has never had this happen. I have an issue with the "probably" diagnosis and that prednisone is the answer.
I've read several posts and done tons of research that say improving diet and vitamin E can help.

Here's where I need assistance. My dog is 7ish, she was a stray. She's been on IAMS dry food for years without any issues. I tried switching here over to Merrick grain free, liquid diarrhea from the first feeding. I only added 10% new food to old. After a couple days of a 70lb dog dropping anchor all over my house, I decided to go all in and work through the diarrhea. Added sweet potatoes, rice, boiled chicken, nothing calmed the liquid diarrhea. This lasted a week before we changed course, 1 because it wasn't good for her, and 2 because I was exhausted from her waking me every couple hours. I changed her food when I brought her home from the shelter and we didn't encounter anything close to this issued. As soon as I put her back on her regular food, diarrhea started clearing up. I've been decreasing the meds to get her off the prednisone (with vets consent), so I can attempt better diet and such. The weight gain, panting, constant thirst, anxiety has been awful.

Can anyone offer any assistance on changing to a better food and how? Is the prednisone causing interference or the food? Thankfully Petco let's you return with receipt, no questions asked. I have the meds down to 5mg, 1x day and that's seems to be where we're stuck as far as symptom severity goes.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Can you go raw? That might be best for her. We have a lot of raw feeding information in the food section to look at.

I feel you on the prednisone. I've taken it and it's just awful. Sometimes necessary, but miserable. Poor girl.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts