Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be getting a new Lab puppy. The breeder is currently feeding Precise Puppy Formula and recommends that I continue feeding the Precise dog food. My problem is that it is not readily available in my area. I can order it online, but before I do that, I would like to hear from others what their experience has been with this food.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've seen a rescue that feeds this and will remove a dog from your home if they find out you feed anything but this food without a vet saying the dog can't eat it and every dog for the most part has HUGE stools that stink to high heavens. I know poo stinks but this seems to really bring out the stink and the piles are huge compared to dogs I've seen that eat say TOTW,Canidae,and some of the other higher quality foods. If you don't have to feed it for the money I think you could do much better.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've seen a rescue that feeds this and will remove a dog from your home if they find out you feed anything but this food without a vet saying the dog can't eat it
Off topic, but...WTF? This kind of thing is what is giving rescues a bad name!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree with Sibe.. I'm not a fan of carby foods with grains - they are not neccessary for dogs health and most develop allergies or sensitivities to them if eaten on a regular basis, the grains are basically just fillers. Dogs are carnivores, and need protein to promote health and nourishment. If your not comfortable with feeding a raw meat diet, then I would also recommend some foods from the list on the link Sibe gave you. I feed kibble occasionally, and the ones from that list I like the best are Acana, NOW!, Fromm's, Nature's Variety Instinct and Timberwolf.

Congrats on your new puppy and best of luck to the both of you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have used TOTW in the past with good results and am inclined to use it again in the future unless someone has some overwhelming evidence that the Precise food is that much better. I too was concerned about what seems to be a high grain content in the Precise food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts