Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched my first episode of "The Dog Whisperer" back in February (no this is not a discussion of Cesar Millan or his methods). After a few shows, I realized that what my two dogs needed was a daily walk (wouldn't hurt me either). So I started walking them. At first they pulled constantly on their leashes. Through a combination of persistence and trying different leashes/collars/harnesses (we now use the Sense-ible harness) we are through those problems. We now walk 4-5 miles every morning and they both behave beautifully. They love their walks.

The problem is...THEY LOVE THEIR WALKS! When the time comes for us to get ready to go, they go nuts, barking, wriggling, jumping, etc. I have tried to present a calm assertive energy, and techniques such as ignoring them until they calm down, etc., but it doesn't work. Getting their harnesses and leashes on is a 3-ring circus. Once we start the walk, no problems.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried this morning by putting their harnesses on then going and sitting down for a while until they calmed down some. I then hooked their leashes up and went and sat down again for a while. While they definitely weren't to the stage of calmness I eventually hope to see, there was some improvement. I guess it is just going to be a matter of patience until they learn what is expected. It looks so easy and quick on the TV shows, but I guess they have the advantage of editing out everything between the initial training and the result. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts