Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been on Interceptor Plus for a year now but she won't eat it unless I chop it up into minuscule bits and hide it in wet food. Unfortunately, it is a soft chew which means it's time consuming and difficult to chop up small enough. My other dog was given to us with a 6 month supply of Interceptor (not the plus) and it's a nice hard pill, easy to pulverize into powder with a coffee grinder (I have one specifically for the dogs' pills and freeze dried liver treats). I talked to my vet and he wants her to have a Praziquantel based pill for tape worms and other parasites in addition to the Interceptor (not Plus). He didn't know which one would be a hard pill that would be easy to make into a powder. Their pharmacy carries the following brands: Droncit and Drontal Plus. Does anyone know if either of these are hard pills that can be crushed into powder with a coffee grinder or pill crusher? I appreciate your help with this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do not know anything about either of those two medications. Out of curiosity, I did a quick Google search and found both of them in "tablet" form on Chewy.com. The photo shows them as a small round and oval tablets, which I'm guessing is what you are looking for. I was going to leave the links but each link was LONG.
Go to https://www.chewy.com and type the medication names in the search box to see if that's what you need.

BTW, I love that you have a coffee grinder just for your dog's medication. That shows real dedication! Not only that, but I would never have thought of using a coffee grinder to crush medication.

My last pooch had epilepsy. I had to give him phenobarbitol twice a day for his entire life. He ate dry food, so every morning and every night I wrapped his tablets in 1/4th of a slice of sandwich cheese.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I use Interceptor (not the + variety) because it covers HW and the 'big three' of intestinal worms (round, hook & whip) The only one not regularly taken care of is tapeworm.

If you have a really big flea problem in your area, then I would agree that using the 'plus' version of Interceptor might not be a bad idea, but... if your dogs are on a good flea/tick preventative & you don't find fleas to be a serious problem, then I'd suggest sticking to the regular Interceptor & only adding in a praziquantel product when/if you notice a tapeworm problem.

Droncit is Rx only, but there are identical strength Praziquantel products (Bayer, Tradewinds) available OTC, when/if needed. These products are small, hard pills that would (IMO) easily be crushed to add to food, if necessary.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I didn't even think to look at Chewy.com to see the actual tablets. I didn't even know they carried prescription drugs. My vet's pharmacy doesn't show pictures of the actual tablets and though I assumed by tablet they meant what I was looking for, I just wanted to verify. Thanks for making me feel normal and intelligent to have a coffee grinder for my dogs. I get some weird looks from relatives and friends that think I go too far with my dogs, including the fact that i have a coffee grinder for their pills and freeze dried liver treats (which I sprinkle on their kibble to make a more enticing but nutritional motivator for training).

BKayMuttleyCrew, my vet said that dogs can contract tapeworms from rabbit poop and he has seen a few cases pop up in his clinic. We have a wild rabbit overpopulation in our neighborhood, thanks to the destruction of the fox habitat nearby. I see rabbit poop in the grass all the time and one of my girls has chased a rabbit out of the yard twice this year, thankfully not catching it. So I think there is definitely a risk. Thank you for letting me know about the over-the-counter brands. I'll look into them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well, technically they can't get tapeworms from eating the rabbit poop - they have to eat the actual rabbit. However, if you have a big bunny population, I guess there's always that chance as well.

And yes, Chewy is now carrying Rx products, and you might want to check out Drs. Foster & Smith as well. They're my 'go to' for prescription meds for my dogs - much more reasonably priced than what my vet's office charges for the same things.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dogs also get tapeworm from eating fleas. These pills only kill after fleas have landed and fed so it is easy for dogs to get tapeworm from fleas.

Bucky refuses to eat Comfortis tablets. They are just small enough I can cover them with squished string cheese and do the blank, blank, loaded, blank, blank method of medicating. Not sure this is a good way to go as they are meant to be broken up in the mouth but he hasn't a problem with fleas. Might try that with your remaining supply. Do get the hard pills next time, sounds like a good solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts