Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am training my pup by telling her to "get busy" I am currently using the word for when she pee's or poo's. Should I be using a different word for each action or is it ok to just use one word for both? She is doing fine and pee's on command but she takes a while to poo. I don't want to confuse her:eek:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You don't need to use different words for each potty type. You can if you want to, but it's not necessary. The only thing you must do is be consistent in what you do use.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I use only one.

After all, I don't know which one the dog needs to do - so I just say "go potty" and he can do which ever he needs to do.

If he doesn't need either, he'll sit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a new puppy from the humane society. Just turned 5 months and we are beginning our third week with him. I have a 2 part question that relates to the post.

Part 1: In fear of accidents, we bring him outside whenever his attention begins to stray or begins sniffing carpeting(usually 30-60 minutes apart) When he is outside, he goes to his spot and pees almost 95% of the time. It's great and all, but at times it's obvious that hes just pushing out whatever he can just to make us happy. Sometimes his urination wouldn't fill a thimble. Is this odd behaviour? I'd like him to start signalling when he really needs to urinate and be less dependent on us, but I guess this is better then anything for now.

Part 2: This was probably my bad, but he never would poop when it was "go to the bathroom" time. He instead poops during his morning or night walk/run. So we have gotten into such a habbit that every morning run (same route) he actually stops running and goes over to the same spot to poop. Is this bad, and are there any good ways to break this? (to get him pooping in front of our house)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
How did you get your dog to sit if he doesn't need to go?
I sorta taught this and sorta didn't.

I taught him to sit as his default behavior. He offers this behavior when he doesn't know what to do or can't offer the behavior I ask (too scared, doesn't know how, doesn't understand, etc) as well as to "ask" me for something.

Basically, to teach a default behavior - you just reward the dog for doing the behavior on his own. Like with this - I would stand by the door, or with a treat, whatever he might want me to give him. I wouldn't do a thing until he sat down. No cue - no response, no hint from me - he had to think of trying it on his own. Keep it up and he'll just throw it out there. Eventually, he'll think of it as a "safe" behavior to offer to you when he wants/needs something.

As far as him offering it to me, he figured that out on his own. I kept telling him to go potty because he'd sniff like he had to go but wouldn't. He didn't know what else to do. He didn't need to go, and I kept telling him to go - so he came back to me and sat.

I put 2 and 2 together and figured he didn't need to go, so we just started walking again.

So now he'll do this. Basically, he shaped his own "trick". He has a way of doing this. He took it upon himself to "touch" my leg if I don't notice him standing at my side again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts