Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
we have a 9 week old male shih tzu and have been potty training him for one week now. Things are going fairly well, with the exception of a few accidents. I normally take him out to potty first thing in the morning, after he eats, after nap time, after play time and right before bed. He wakes up to potty about 2 times a night.
He is finally goes to the patio door, looks out to tell me that he has to go. I am going to train him on the bell and am hoping this will help. With the bell, i bring him to it, nudge his nose to it and say potty. then we proceed outside.
Am i doing this right?
Also, with feeding, is it best to feed three times a day or leave his food out all day so he can graze it?

·
Super Moderator
11,806 Posts
At that age, I wouldn't rely on him to tell you when he needs to go out. He may not even be aware himself. You need to take him out more frequently than you would think possible, gave a little celebratory party each time he takes care of business outside (so you need to be outside with him and, if he goes inside, clean it up thoroughly and quietly and move on.

I'm not a fan of free-feeding. At his age, three times/day works. Free-feeding creates challenges if you want to go somewhere and take the dog. It's also harder to monitor how much he's actually eating. And, given the opportunity, some dogs will just eat until they die. (I've had hounds and labs.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. A few accidents today but we ignored them and moved on. I started to feed him three times a day and cutting him off at 7pm.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a grazer but, I measure her food, give her the raw twice a day and, leave her portion of kibble for grazing. If she eats it all, that's all she gets for the day, if not, I can measure what's left and know how much she ate. She usually eats it all by 8 PM and, bed time is 10 PM so, we're good there.

Bells do help once the dog catches on. I use one that hangs on the door knob simply becasue that way, you can take the bell when you travel with the dog and, they will recognize that, even if they don't quite get that it's a door, the bell means go out and, that's all they need to know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It seems that we have regressed with the potty training. having a few accidents a day. He will be 11 weeks tomorrow. We bring him out to potty in the morning, after he eats, after play time, after nap and before bed. When he goes we reward. If he doesn't go within 10 mins, i take him in and wait another 15mins. I know he can hold his bladder at least 1.5 hours now.

any advice tips on potty training???

It seems that we have regressed with the potty training. having a few accidents a day. He will be 11 weeks tomorrow. We bring him out to potty in the morning, after he eats, after play time, after nap and before bed. When he goes we reward. If he doesn't go within 10 mins, i take him in and wait another 15mins. I know he can hold his bladder at least 1.5 hours now.

any advice tips on potty training???

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When he is awake he will need to potty more often than every 1.5 hours. Take him out every 1/2 hour until you see a pattern. My adult dog sometimes needs to potty 3x in the hour after dinner. He's 'special' but an example of how individual dog's systems operate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts