Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I cam here to get some advice regarding my 9 month old Female black lab puppy. I crate trained her since i got her at 13 weeks old. She had a few accidents in the house in the first go around of training, however a month went by with no accidents. Recently though she started to go inside the house instead of alerting us that she needs to go outside(she was doing it during the month that we had no accidents). She understands she did something wrong as well because every time she's been going in the house she immediately sits in a corner of the house with her head down. I believe she understands the concept that she's suppose to go outside but i think she still believes its okay for her to go inside. I am not sure if i trained her the wrong way the first time or if there is something else going on.

I took her to the vet back in the beginning of August to get her fixed and the Vet took blood samples and did their testing and discovered that she was healthy. So i ruled out the possibility that shes medically ill. So my only conclusion is that the training was done incorrectly.

To give you guys a more in depth information i take her out every day at 6:30am to go pee which she always goes. At 7am i feed her the first meal of the day and she drinks water as well. I wait 1 hour or so then i go back out with her. I stay there with her for a good 5 minutes and if she doesn't go number 1 or 2 i bring her back inside and put her in her crate. I come back and let her out again another hour later. If she goes then i praise her however i didn't give her any treats to reward her for her good behavior i understand i should but at the time i thought praising her with my voice only would be enough. Anyway after that i bring her out again about 12pm during this time sometimes she goes sometimes she doesn't. at 3pm i feed her the last meal of the day however i do leave the water bowl out in case she needs to drink some water. Again i bring her out 1 hour later and see if she needs to go if she doesn't go i bring her back in and crate her until 1 hour has past. For a good solid month i've been doing the same routine with her and she was doing great no accidents in the house. After that month period i did give her more and more freedom around the house and honestly that's where the issues started happening again she started going in the house.

She's a wonderful dog shes very smart she learns tricks very fast that's why i don't understand why all of a sudden she breaks her routine. Any advice you guys can give me would be great.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
Common issue. She probably doesn't understand that all parts of the house are not for potty. So basically, if she was in the kitchen and bathroom for her little puppy days and was potty trained there, she may not understand that the living room and bedroom are still part of the house.

Go back to potty training 101. She should be supervised at all times, and you should be taking her out very frequently, just like when she was a puppy (ok, you can probably put a little more time between breaks, but still frequent). When she goes outside praise and REWARD. That's important, because you are teaching her that outside is the best place to go, because she gets treats! If you catch her having an accident, just say "oops!" in a non-threatening voice, just to interrupt her, and rush her outside. Praise and reward if she finishes in the correct place. If she doesn't go, put her in her crate for a bit, or make sure to supervise carefully. If you can't supervise, crate her.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lilith gives great advice. I also wanted to mention that the beginning of August was like 7 weeks ago, plenty of time for a UTI to form. Do you have any reason to believe that she cant hold it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts