Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 week old puppy we just aquired this week. He is a Beagle/Basset mix and I know they are supposed to be stubborn, but I can't even seem to get a start.

We are crate training him. At night I am getting up after 5 hours to take him out (Argh, when can I sleep through the night again?). When I take him out at night or first thing in the morning, he goes immediately and I praise him and give him a treat.

During the day, I take him out EVERY HOUR. Every single time he just plays. I ignore him and just say hurry up. But he will either keep playing or just lay down. I'll bring him inside, and he goes by a window or in the hallway. I don't even have carpet, it's all tile. I also got an enzyme based cleaner but it doesn't seem to help.

I am going out of my mind. All he wants to do outside is play. We take him for walks and exercise him a lot. I don't play during potty time.

The only way it seems I will catch him is to follow him every waking second or crate him all day. Neither of which is acceptable. I'm so frustrated already and it's only been a week. What else can I do? :(

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Do you take him out on a leash? I would start taking him out, leashed if not. How old is he? You have also only had him for a week so give him some time.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I agree with Momtolabs, taking him out on a leash will help you redirect his attention. But, take your time and be patient. Telling him to hurry up is not really going to motivate him. What I find works, is journaling every time they eat, drink and potty. It helps me keeps track of their ever-changing potty schedule, then I have a better idea of when they need to go and I can translate that to my expectations when they're outside. I would allow plenty of time for breaks, definitely keep him on a leash. If he doesn't go, crate him when he comes in, then try again later. I would also praise and treat when he does go outside.

15 week old pups like to explore instead of worrying about potty business and they don't have a mature digestive system. It will take time (months) for his digestive system to mature. He may not be getting all the necessary sensations that alert him that he needs to go. Kind of sneaks up on them!

A typical schedule is whenever they wake up, 10-30 minutes after eating (sometimes twice in that period), and again in an hour. They should be able hold their bladders for about 2-3 hours at 15 weeks if crated. Pups also pee when their excited. So, if you're playing, you should expect him to feel the need to pee about 5-15 minutes into play-time.You can use enzymatic cleaner, or vinegar to eliminate the odor he is picking up by the window/hallway.

Good luck and don't get too upset. It's a process that can take months to master.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Also, make sure potty time is strictly potty time. (It's unclear to me how exactly potty time goes so if you're already doing this, I apologize). Leash up, go out, give him time to sniff/find a spot, etc. But if he starts playing/getting distracted, go inside. Don't give him a chance to play if you are taking him outside to go to the bathroom. Right now it seems as if he's learning that outside=play and inside=potty.

But some of it could just be his age. *shrug* Good luck! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are doing a bit better with the housetraining. I ended up hooking two leashes together and keeping him on it when he is outside his crate. This keeps him confined to the living room where I can watch for signs. He now has learned to sit in one spot and stare at me and take him out.

But I have another problem. At night, he sleeps a good 7-8 hours before wanting to go out. During the day when he is out of his crate, he goes twice an hour or more. I know he is capable of holding it longer. But he doesn't seem to grasp that. I think he gets too excited by everything and the first urge he gets, get will pee a teeny bit. 15 minutes later he wants out again.

I dont confine him to his crate except for at night or if we leave. If I leave during the day, I make sure it's only a couple hours and come home to let him out. He likes his crate and often goes in on his own. And like I said, at night he goes all night without going.

Should I confine him to his crate a couple hours at a time during the day to help teach him to hold it? Im thinking that would help, but I am unsure how often to do this. Obviously I dont want to crate him too often.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The fact that he is holding it that long at night is great but a puppy his age really can't go more than an hour or two while active during the day. A puppy doesn't have full bladder control until about 6 months, sometimes pottying just happens without them realizing it which is why their owners need to be on top of staying on schedule and getting them out before they can have an accident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An hour or two is fine, but as of now it's several times an hour while awake. I agree it seems to happen without him even realising it. Im sure it would come eventually too. But it's frustrating to sit here and watch him non stop during the day. I cant seem to even get through a shower or meal without him needing to go. Very frustrating.

ETA: Actually, I can do those things....but only if he's gone down for a nap. There are just times when I need to get things done. :(

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
When you can't watch him (ie. you're in the shower) that is when you should be crating to prevent accidents and make sure he isn't getting into trouble while you're busy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When you can't watch him (ie. you're in the shower) that is when you should be crating to prevent accidents and make sure he isn't getting into trouble while you're busy.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Crate or ex pen when unsupervised. Merlin is crated when I shower and when I need to get stuff done. He fussed a bit at first, but realizes that whining is going to get him no where.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
How much and often is he drinking water?

It might be worth a trip to the vet with a first of the morning urine sample, to rule out the potential of a urine infection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts