Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 14 week old jack Russell terrier mix (I believe) that I've been having difficulty potty training. When I first got her, I was still going to school so her potty training was a bit stinted as I expected, but I've run into an issue I don't know how to fix. Now that I'm out of school, I'm working on a full force potty training schedule to get it fully figured out.

So far, she will ask to go out so she knows that she's supposed to pee outside, but the problem is that she is a digger. My whole backyard is covered in woodchips and dirt so there isn't really a place safe from her digging. I've been working on this by burying her poop in her usual holes and keeping her on a leash so we don't play the chase game when I need to remove her from place she's digging. It seems to be working so far, but at the cost of her potty training. She refuses, absolutely refuses, to pee on the leash outside. I could be out there for 30 minutes after she hasn't peed in a good 3 hours and drank tons of water keeping her away from distractions, but still she won't pee. Then, the second she's let in the house, she'll pee on the carpet. It's the most infuriating thing. If she would only pee outside, she would get a huge reward of cheese or chicken so that she finds the action rewarding, but I'm at my wits end to encourage her to pee outside.

Is this a case where the only solution is just patience and waiting for however long it takes, or does anyone have a better solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Rjarnutowski,

It's nice that your pooch knows how to ask when to go out. But with regards to burying her poop in areas where she's digging, I think this may confuse her in her potty training. Dogs usually poop and pee on the same location where they can smell their urine or poop. This is why it's best to have a single designated location for pooping and peeing. It's possible that she's not peeing/pooping because you're taking her away from the spot where she knows (or smells) where her pee/poop was before.

When you brought her outside for 30 minutes and she didn't pee, I suggest to put her in a crate for an hour or less, then bring her back outside again.

With regards to the pee stains on the carpet, make sure to wash them off with 50/50 water-vinegar solution to completely remove the urine smell. Doing so will prevent your dog from peeing on the same spot again.

Hope this helps!

~Rommel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts