Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I should start by saying overall I think I have been pretty lucky. I have a 9.5 week old Husky which has been at home for me since she was 8 weeks and she is generally doing very well. She will come, sit, and look at me at a very high percentage. Although my hard is not fenced, she can go out off leash and will stay right by me. And we only ever had one poop accident inside on her second day.

I am doing the whole "bell" training as this is what my family did growing up with our dogs. She has caught on and will ring the bell occasionally and when I take her out after that she goes both pee and poop. There are many other times I just take her out (if it has been about an hour I will take her out without the bell) and she will pee almost immediately when she gets outside. That being said, over the past few days we have had an increase in the number of times we've peed in the house. Even within a couple minutes of coming back inside after she pees there she will pee again inside. I'll clean it up and she'll do it again. I am not sure why it seems like we are regressing and how to get her back on track. I'm afraid that my picking her up when she does it and taking her right outside may be backfiring as she may now be peeing inside so that I take her outside. Any suggestions from the community for a first time puppy owner would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
337 Posts
She's 9.5 weeks old and still has a tiny bladder. You can't expect a puppy this young to be without accidents. Spend more time outside and probably even wait for her to go twice before bringing her back in if she has a habit of not eliminating all at once (I did this with mine or I'd bring her back in knowing I needed to take her out in 5-15 minutes). I'd also consider limiting her water intake while you're setting up a routine so she's not constantly filling her bladder back up and thus needing to go again increasing accidents. Potty training is all about routine. You don't wait for them to have an accident to teach them to go to the bathroom outside; you set it up so they're only going outside. You can't rely on the pup to do or not do anything at this age (like telling you they need to go).

Sidenote: I'd strongly suggest against getting in the habit of taking a Husky outside off-leash, because while your puppy, like pretty much all puppies, if very focused on you and wants to stay by you at all times, this will change soon. Huskies are generally not reliable off-leash dogs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. She is going outside routinely. Every hour while awake as well as after every nap. She does typically pee at least twice every time. Like I said, I really am impressed with how well she has done as such a young puppy so I am not complaining about her having accidents. What concerns me is the nature of these particular accidents which come right after she has gone outside and are becoming more frequent.

Regarding the off-leash. I completely understand your advice and agree with it. I do not plan on leaving her off leash as a dog. Once she grows into herself a bit more and cannot bite her collar/harness she will be leashed. At this point, it takes too long to get her harnessed to get outside and she often had accidents in the process of putting on the harness itself after waking up from naps.

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's a lot. Ever hour is a bit much at 9.5 weeks. It should be more like every 2 hours or so. You should probably mention it to your vet. A UTI could be what's going on. Probably not, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
That's a lot. Ever hour is a bit much at 9.5 weeks. It should be more like every 2 hours or so. You should probably mention it to your vet. A UTI could be what's going on. Probably not, but better safe than sorry.
I was thinking the same. There's a fine balance between going out on a routine and going out too often. My 10 week old puppy goes out every three hours, but he's a giant breed, so I would think that seaboxador's suggestion of every 2 hours would be accurate. Expect accidents, but a 9.5 week old Husky puppy needing to go up to twice every hour could be an indication of an underlying problem, especially because she was doing so well and then seemed to regress.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
It really depends on the dog, frankly, not the dog's age. Yeah, the formula says your puppy should be able to hold it about an hour per month of age when tiny, but if you're going out every 2 and having accidents you need to go out more frequently. If you're going out every hour and having accidents, you need to go out more frequently. If you're going out every thirty minutes and having accidents - yeah.

I've had puppies who would hold it 2 hours, and I've had puppies who were out every 20 minutes they were awake for a while.

If you're having accidents, you're waiting too long - period. The puppy didn't read the book on how long they're supposed to be able to hold it and can't do math.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think it also really depends on how much water the dog is drinking. If the dog is guzzling water every hour and being pretty active, like I'm sure a husky puppy is, then I don't think once an hour is that alarming. Shae had to pee A LOT when she was little even with moderating water intake and a big reason for the frequency was she wasn't going completely when she did as she'd get distracted or want to go back inside ASAP.

Thanks for the advice. She is going outside routinely. Every hour while awake as well as after every nap. She does typically pee at least twice every time.
For clarification, is she going outside twice and then coming in and going again? Or just the once outside and once inside? I still think she's just not completely eliminating for whatever reason and then needing to go again when returning to being active is good possibility. Could be a UTI also causing that, I guess, but also could just be attention span or whatever. Anything abnormal about the color/odor of the urine when you clean it up or does she seem to be straining at all when she goes? How is she at night? Multiple trips outside or does she sleep through?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
It really depends on the dog, frankly, not the dog's age. Yeah, the formula says your puppy should be able to hold it about an hour per month of age when tiny, but if you're going out every 2 and having accidents you need to go out more frequently. If you're going out every hour and having accidents, you need to go out more frequently. If you're going out every thirty minutes and having accidents - yeah.

I've had puppies who would hold it 2 hours, and I've had puppies who were out every 20 minutes they were awake for a while.

If you're having accidents, you're waiting too long - period. The puppy didn't read the book on how long they're supposed to be able to hold it and can't do math.
Of course they can't do math, but if it were my puppy, and he was going outside reliably every two hours, and then he suddenly started having accidents and going twice PER hour, I'd look into whether there was a medical cause behind that kind of sudden regression. Especially because OP said the puppy pees a little outside, then comes inside and pees there, then OP cleans it up and the puppy pees *again*. If I'm reading that right, up to three urinations in an hour seems a bit much for a 9.5 week old puppy.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Yep. Might be medical, and should be checked.

Could also very well be 'puppy adapted, is more active, drinking more, moving more, and is more easily distracted' because frankly, like I said, 3 times in an hour is. Well, life with some puppies :p

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Yep. Might be medical, and should be checked.

Could also very well be 'puppy adapted, is more active, drinking more, moving more, and is more easily distracted' because frankly, like I said, 3 times in an hour is. Well, life with some puppies :p
Wow, three times an hour seems like so much! That requires some serious vigilance!

OP, about the picking your puppy up to take her outside - I do this with my puppy, too. I think minimizing accidents and setting up opportunities for praise while going outside is important at this stage. When your puppy starts becoming slightly more reliable, perhaps that's the time to start working on having her walk outside on her own?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh my, this sounds like it might be a bladder infection. Have you had the puppy checked by a vet? All puppies need training for housebreaking. Assuming there is no illness, may I suggest that when you puppy comes back inside and tinkles on the floor right away, say a stern no, lift her up and bring her back outside and praise her. Since she is so young, you can expect her to have to go often, but it would not be acceptable for her to "go" on the floor as soon as she walks inside.
May I also suggest you clean the area where she previously urinated with an enzyme. Many household cleaners don't really eliminate all the scent, and your puppy has a great nose. If she can smell where she previously eliminated, she may continue to do so.
All the best, a photo of the Husky puppy?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the advice! We did have our first vet appointment and next shots today and discussed the frequent urination thing. The vet (who was absolutely amazing) felt it was unlikely to be a UTI due to the fact that she was going all night in her crate without having an accident. She thought if it was medical it was more likely to be a vaginitis which was causing some mild irritation when awake but not doing anything while she was asleep so that would be the cause of the day symptoms but not night. She did not suggest antibiotics at this time but just to keep watching things. She is definitely doing well 90% of the time but still occasionally having the accidents even when she has just come inside. There were two today within 10 minutes of going outside. But she had rung the bell to go out just before when she was taken out and went potty outside so I think we're catching on. Thank you all for the advice!

I'll try to post a photo.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Uhm.. what? I have yet to own a puppy that young that CAN hold it an entire hour. Seriously.. every 15 minutes while awake and active. There was NO UTI.

All puppies are different and having to go out even 4 or 5 times an hour is completely normal. Also, my BC pup was on extra good behavior in the potty training the first week. She had almost no accidents and held it much longer than the second week home. I'm not saying it couldn't be a UTI and sure get it checked.. but needing out that frequently is not concerning to me in the least bit.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yea at 11 weeks I had to set a kitchen timer to take Squash out every TEN minutes, no lie. He was the absolute worst to house train. I mean, it never hurts to rule out medical problems but no way would 2 hours be my expectation for a 9.5 week old puppy while awake and active.

In any case, the double pee (pee outside, come back in and pee again) is super common. Sometimes puppies don't completely empty their bladders for various reasons including seeing something shiny outside. If she's doing it regularly, just hold her or pop her in her crate for 5 minutes or so and then go outside again. Huge jackpot reward for peeing outside the second time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts