Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exercise pen at my house. I take my girl out every 2-3 hours (she's 10-12 weeks old). After I take her out, I'll play with her for about an hour and then I'll put her back in the pen. She never has accidents inside the pen. When she goes outside, I'll give her a treat and praise her

Is there anything else I need to do or will she automatically know that she can only go to bathroom outside now? Do I need to buy one of those bells? will she tell me she needs to go outside now by barking or something?

·
Super Moderator
11,807 Posts
Some dogs, regardless of age, will never tell you when they need to go out. Or sometimes the clues are so subtle that you won't notice unless you're really focused on what the dog is doing.

Some owners really like the potty bells. Personally, I don't. My limited experience is that the dog will ring the bell any time he wants attention, which is pretty much 24/7.

Ultimately, it's your responsibility to get the dog outside at regular, reasonable intervals. With time, you'll become familiar with the dog's internal schedule, but a 10-12 week old dog is going to need LOTS of potty breaks.

·
Banned
625 Posts
My dog is 4 yo. He doesn't have a tell about going outside.

I just feed on a regular schedule and go for walks on a regular schedule.
Feed @ 7:30-8 am, 4:30-5 pm
Walk @ 7:30-8 am (after feed), 4:30-5 pm (after feed), 10:30-11pm

There is always the occasional accident. Typically, when I miss the schedule or he consumed something disagreeable.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
RonE and Knute both have great advice and we do both. We feed on a schedule (puppy probably need 3-4 meals/day, our adult dogs get 2 meals / day), and we have a regular potty schedule that we try to follow closely so they know what to expect.

Our adult dogs get fed at 7am and 5pm. We let them out as soon as we get up in the morning, and then again after they have their morning meal, before we go to work for the day. Right now, because we are working from home, they get a midday play session in the yard on my lunch hour too. Then they eat dinner at 5pm in their crates and they remain in their crates for some quiet time until our human dinner is done. This has also eliminated them being under foot in the kitchen while I'm cooking. And then we get to eat without dealing with any table begging, mainly started the habit when we had a young family and lots of food being dropped/ spilled on the floor. Our dogs are not allowed table food so it just made it easier on everyone to leave them crated while we ate, and now we just continue the tradition. After dinner they get a quick potty stop in the yard and we often take them for a walk, to the park, or at least play with a frisbee or ball in the yard. One of our dogs seems to need a potty break at 7:30pm every night so we let them all out. And then they all get the last potty break at about 10pm.

Of course your mileage will vary with a young dog, and will evolve into whatever schedule for feeding and potty breaks that works for your dog. For puppies we usually limit a full water bowl to meal time and just a small amount of water in the bowl otherwise. Be mindful though to never limit water if the weather is hot or the dog has been walked or playing. But scheduling the intake helps to create a more predictable outgo.

Some dogs will let you know when they have to go, and others will choose to squat and pee when they need to. Our current dog, Moose, is a Jack Russell and seems to have springs in her rear legs. She will stand in front of me and bounce about 3 feet off the floor when she needs to go out. The two grand-dogs are less obvious and require a schedule. Maybe they are more obvious in their own home though. We've had dogs that would pace at the back door when they had to go. And some dogs are better about holding it than others. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts