Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a decent amount of success in training my 7 month old lab/shepard mix, but have had some difficulties with a few things. I hope you can help.

First, my dog knows to hold it whenever he is in his crate, sleeping, or gated in the kitchen. However, we can not seem to teach him not to go in the house during the day. Sometimes he just goes without warning. I've tried everything from stopping him and taking him outside to rewarding him only when he goes outside. However, this weekend he still chose to poop on the carpet. What can I do to teach him the carpet is also a no-no.

Second, when my dog needs to go out I take him to the same spot and he pees immediately. However, it usually takes 10-15 minute walks for him to poop. And even after that he sometimes won't go. How can I teach him to poop immediately and in the same spot? His poop schedule seems to have no consistency at all.

I think this is all I have questions about now. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You need to catch him every single time. Sorry, there's no other way to teach it....you have to be there the instant it happens.
The poop schedule will depend greatly on what you feed him. For example, dry kibble takes 16 hours to digest/process and then eliminate...moist/soft food takes about 12 hours and RAW takes 5-6 hours. To make matters worse all of that can be effected by the amount of exercise/sleep and water intake. Getting a reliable/predictable schedule involves alot of tweaking/fine tuning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts