Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just adopted a 2 year old male chiweenie from a dog shelter. We will be picking him up tomorrow. My biggest concern starting off is making sure he’s potty trained since he will be indoors. I really don’t know if he has been or not. What are the most effective and best methods for potty training a dog? (Also he was just fixed. I don’t know how or if this may affect potty training temporarily).

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Just treat him like a baby puppy. Out after he wakes up, out after a meal, out after playing, out if he acts like he's looking for a spot to potty (sniffing, circling, starting to squat or hike a leg), and out every so often just because. Any time you can't be right on top of him, he is crated or otherwise confined to a small area. Take (don't just let) him out on a leash to the area you want him to use, give him the chance to sniff around, and if he potties, praise like heck (without going over the top and scaring him) and have a treat party. If he doesn't potty withing ten minutes or so, bring him in, crate him, and try again in ten to fifteen minutes. All trips outside start with a chance to potty, and no further exploration or playing until he's pottied.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I agree with LeoRose. Treat him like a little puppy. Frequent potty breaks and close supervision are key! If he does have an accident, ignore and just quietly clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the guidance. I’ve been taking him out every hour but I’m going to try every 2 hours today and see how that goes (guess it’s good I don’t have a job right now.) Heres the question after taking him out several times. It’s rare that he does #1 and #2 in the same trip. I understand he probably won’t poop every time but when he doesn’t pee that worries me. Should I have cue words to specify between #1 and #2 so he knows what I’m expecting? Should I give him better treats when he does both than just one. Should I give him a certain treat for each one? I know I’m overthinking this but I’m kinda clueless. Thanks

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If he doesn't potty on an outing, it's no big deal. He might not need to go right then. Just keep an eye on him, and take him back out if you think he needs to go.

I use the same cue for peeing and pooping, and tell them to "go hurry", or "hurry up", since they may or may not need to do both in the same trip.

And any treat he likes is a good enough treat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts