Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our Boston Terrier at 8 weeks. He’s now a little over 4 months and I don’t feel like potty training is going that great, but then again, I’ve never had a puppy before. He seems to pee a lot…I talked to his vet about it at his last visit and she said to limit his water, only leaving water out during meals and a little at night. That has helped, but he’s still peeing and pooping in the house a couple of times per day.

Here’s the details of what we’re doing and maybe someone can give me some tips…He sleeps in our kitchen on his dog bed (gated in). He sleeps through the night without having to poop or pee. He sometimes wakes up shortly before us and poops/pees on a potty pad (I only leave a potty pad out at night). I work from home most days and I take him out about once per hour. He always goes potty when I take him out and then I praise him and give him a treat.

When I need to get things done freely around the house, need to get some work done, etc., I put him in the gated kitchen here and there throughout the day. He often will then poop or pee when he’s gated in the kitchen, even if I’ve just taken him out recently. Sometimes I feel like he’s doing it out of spite!

If I do have to go in to work or we are going to be gone for more than a couple of hours, he gets crated. Besides a few rare accidents, he doesn’t go potty in his crate. How old was your pup before they were fully potty trained? Is there anything I can do to speed up the potty training or is this normal? Thanks! (Side note: he’s doing GREAT with learning commands and catches on really quicky…he knows sit, stay, come, drop it, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
2,965 Posts
Dogs really can't be considered fully potty trained until about 10-12 months old. They don't even gain full control of their bladders until 6 months old, and it really does take them a long time to know the difference between, "Hey, I kind of have to go potty, I need to go outside" and "I have to potty...and now I'm going." I feel like it took my 55lb dog a good year to really understand that potty happens outside, and that he should avoid going inside, as well as fully control his body. He would sometimes wake up from a deep sleep and immediately start to pee even at around 11 months old.

First, I would eliminate the potty pads. They are likely confusing him, and dogs often mistake carpet or rugs for potty pads. If he has to potty shortly before you get up, set an alarm, get up, and take him out about halfway through the night. Praise, treat, and return him to his crate. This is not forever. Just until he learns and can control his bladder. I know that some people have to do the potty pads in an ex-pen attached to the crate thing because they can't get home for potty breaks as often as they need to, but you should opt to take him outside as often as you can even if it is disturbing your sleep. I promise it will be worth it i the end!

He cannot be trusted with as much space as you are allowing him right now. When you can't 100% supervise, crate him. If he's going potty shortly after you bring him inside even though he's gone outside, it's possible he didn't "get it all out" the first time because he was excited. Make sure you are taking him out on leash so he's less likely to get distracted. You might also try bringing him back inside, crating him for 5-10 minutes, and then taking him out again.

Make sure you are cleaning up an accident spots with a cleaner like Nature's Miracle that has enzymes which destroy the urine or poo scent. Regular cleaners don't always eliminate the scent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! I guess he still has a ways to go, but sounds like removing the puppy pads and more crate time might help!

·
Super Moderator
7,366 Posts
You've gotten excellent advice, I only have a couple of things to add. One, toy breeds typically take longer to house train than larger dogs, and also have to go more often, due to their wee little bladders, so you do need to keep this in mind, and might have to increase the number of times you take him out until he's older. Two, dogs are not capable of complex emotions like spite and do not ever do things just to spite us. It's a common misconception and one that has the potential to really harm the relationship between dog and owner, so please do remove it from your dog owner vocabulary, you'll both be much better off for it. I HIGHLY recommend picking up a copy of Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash, and Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash and reading them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lillith pretty much nailed it with providing less space and more supervision IE crating time when needed.

We have a 5 month old Cavoodle and after completely ruining our bedroom carpet we knew it was time for a change. I wanted to figure out how to crate train her so she had a safe place to go, and also so we had a safe place to put her so she did not urinate on everything when we were not looking! About 4 months later I can say we successfully have an amazing dog that only goes potty on the fake grass we have on our apartment balcony, and outside on her two beach walks per day.

This is the guide we used, totally worked for us. Check it out and let me know how it works for you: Here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts