Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here recently my puppy has put it in his mind that inside is for potty and outside is for play and nothing but. I had him pretty well potty trained and trained on biting and barking until I started working and my fiance started taking care of him. Everything I've done has gone down the drain and he won't go back to the way I had him before. Any advice on how to train him to potty outside instead of inside and to stop his biting and barking? I NEED HELP!!!!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
How old is your puppy?

Likely your fiance has just undid everything you did. Firstly, teach your fiance how to do it.

Just go back to basics with him, no free time unsupervised, no free time until he's went potty outside, go potty every half hour or so, praise him for pottying outside, ignoring him when he potties inside.
A big thing, if when you take him outside and he starts to play and won't potty, take him right back to his crate and put him there for about 10 minutes, then try again. Potty and play times need to be separate.

For the biting, when he bites you, offer him a toy instead. This will show him what's appropriate to chew on. If he persists, just walk away from him for a moment, teaching him that when he gets too rough, the fun stops. You need to do this every time, and be consistent.

For barking, teach him a 'quiet' command. Basically ignore him when he's loud, but praise and reward him for his quiet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is your puppy?

Likely your fiance has just undid everything you did. Firstly, teach your fiance how to do it.

Just go back to basics with him, no free time unsupervised, no free time until he's went potty outside, go potty every half hour or so, praise him for pottying outside, ignoring him when he potties inside.
A big thing, if when you take him outside and he starts to play and won't potty, take him right back to his crate and put him there for about 10 minutes, then try again. Potty and play times need to be separate.

For the biting, when he bites you, offer him a toy instead. This will show him what's appropriate to chew on. If he persists, just walk away from him for a moment, teaching him that when he gets too rough, the fun stops. You need to do this every time, and be consistent.

For barking, teach him a 'quiet' command. Basically ignore him when he's loud, but praise and reward him for his quiet.

My puppy will be 4 months on August 20th. & thank you for those. I read about the potty thing and it's already starting to work. biting thing just have to keep working on and barking too. But I will definitely put these tips into use. Thank you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts