Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,287 Posts
Little breed dogs often find pottying outside harder to accept than big breeds. Mostly because they are lower to the ground and the grass hits their underside and tickles/itches. So you might mow the grass a bit shorter for the time being under her legs grow a bit.

When you bring her back in, watch her carefully for signs that she is about to go. Take her back outside as soon as she makes those signs OR in 5 minutes, whichever comes first.

You can also use cue words to help her focus. I use "potty" and "poop". When she starts to pee, say potty. After praise her like she just flew to the moon and back. When she starts to circle round to poo, say poop. Again praise her immensely for going. As you say these cue words, she'll start to connect them to the action. So, when she gets distracted with other things, you can say the cue word and she'll be all "oh yeah, I'm supposed to do that!". It's actually funny when they suddenly remember...

You can also take one of her poops and put it outside. Leave it for a few days to remind her where she's supposed to go.

As for letting her sleep with your daughter, I would say if you can impress on your daughter the importance of taking puppy out EACH AND EVERY time the puppy wakes up AND every time your daughter gets up, then go for it. I have allowed all my puppies to sleep with me during the night with no problem. You can always put a waterproof mattress pad on the bed to protect the mattress if you're worried about accidents. But I have found that most all puppies will try to get off the bed to potty.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
At 9 weeks, her bladder is very very small, her bladder muscles are weak, and her brain-to-bladder connection is non-existent. So when she has to potty, it's an immediate need.

Definitely section off a smaller portion of the kitchen for her. You're already taking her out often enough, but whenever she wakes up, after she eats and/or drinks, and after she plays, take her outside immediately. If you've ever been working at a desk and get up to get a cup of coffee, etc, and realize "I have to pee", you have a very slight idea of what she feels. Every time she does something, her bladder is a dam at breaking point.

Yes, cold and snow will definitely affect her desire to potty outside. The good thing is that by the time she's at an age where she will be better able to hold the pee until she's back inside, it will be warming up and she will enjoy being outside. Having a 6-12 month old in the winter can cause backsliding.

Reactions: mrswitters

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree with giving her more time outside. She may very well be going a bit to please you, then doing the rest inside to please herself.

Reactions: mrswitters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts