Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm glad you're making progress and things are better.

My puppies have always been of larger working breeds. Even the puppy I got last year because I wanted to downsize is of a mid-size breeds. So keep that in mind when I mention what I've always done. It's always been my understanding small breed puppies are harder to housebreak than large breeds.

Unless conditions outside are very cold or wet, I never take a puppy outside, have it relieve itself and then go back inside. For me that's because I don't want them to start stalling about going in order to stay out longer, but it also means if they don't empty in one go, they're out long enough to go again, and I believe moving around helps with that too. The first Rottweiler puppy I ever had would actually take three or more efforts to empty her bowel. She wasn't constipated, that's just how she went until she was older.

So with a puppy like yours, I wouldn't take her back inside after a single squat but would walk her around the yard for another 10 minutes or so and see if that way any second squat would happen outside.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts